Discovered secrets

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Nighthawk

Re: Discovered secrets

Post by Nighthawk »

Just a check with anyone else who has either managed a "Guild Honored" (found the amulet but didn't make it out) or "Winner!" game in their high scores....

I managed a "Guild Honored" game, and now when I start a new game, I seem to have an unidentifed ring as a part of my starting gear.

Coincidence, or am I on to something? Is it just a normal rare random happening, or is it related to my "success" in a previous game?

Using v1.3/1.4.

Thanks!

EDIT: I'm using "Nighthawk" as my character name. So far as I know, that isn't a secret character.
jhawk

Post by jhawk »

all non secret guys start with a random ring, scroll, staff, or potion....

personaly I don't see that being balanced so as a prefferance I just keep making a new guy until it's a ring
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

jhawk wrote:I just tossed my 2 slow digestion rings because I'm using 2 other rings +sparten armour
Lucky I have over 100 foods :-)

What sucks is having 5 raise level pots and being max level
You'll be happy to know I figured out what was wrong when you drink these at "Max Rank". Not only that, but I made it so each one still has a beneficial use if drank when you are at your max rank ;)

jhawk wrote:all non secret guys start with a random ring, scroll, staff, or potion....

personaly I don't see that being balanced so as a prefferance I just keep making a new guy until it's a ring
Nighthawk, what jhawk says is accurate. In the original rogue you started with:

+1,+1 Mace
+1 Ring Mail
+1, +0 Bow
(X) Arrows (X being something from 15-40 roughly)
1 Food

We added in a special bonus for everyone playing RT, in that you get one free magical item in your pack even as a standard character. It can be good or bad though, it is unidentified. You could end up with a potion of raise level, or a ring of aggravate monsters, or a wand of cornucopia, who knows! But it helps give a little boost...

**************************** SPOILER WARNING ***********************************

A lot of people like to restart and get a ring though! Here's a little secret if you like rings a lot... try playing as "Jared" (if you have one of these around your area you'll get the joke. it's a jewerly store for those that don't)! Playing as "Jared" you start off with THREE rings, all identified. But you need a weapon :lol: Plus he can appraise any ring and know what it is immediately after picking it up- no identify scrolls needed for rings. Enjoy! :D
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Nighthawk, what jhawk says is accurate. In the original rogue you started with:

+1,+1 Mace
+1 Ring Mail
+1, +0 Bow
(X) Arrows (X being something from 15-40 roughly)
1 Food
That part I'm very familiar with from playing over the years...
We added in a special bonus for everyone playing RT, in that you get one free magical item in your pack even as a standard character. It can be good or bad though, it is unidentified. You could end up with a potion of raise level, or a ring of aggravate monsters, or a wand of cornucopia, who knows! But it helps give a little boost...
So, in other words, there's been something extra in my pack every game.... and I haven't been paying attention. :roll:

Here, then, is a suggestion (which I'll throw in the Suggestions thread as well): make a "special" character, named Classic or something like that, and make it just have have the mace, ring mail, bow, arrows, and food. I know that would make things a little harder for the player using it, but I'm an old softie for the original(s). Also, I'll use this opportunity to cast my vote for the idea of "roll-your-own Rogue" - selecting the types of things you want in the game... maybe with pre-made selections like "Original Rogue v3", "Original Rogue v5" and such.
Zakia

Post by Zakia »

Nighthawk wrote:Also, I'll use this opportunity to cast my vote for the idea of "roll-your-own Rogue" - selecting the types of things you want in the game... maybe with pre-made selections like "Original Rogue v3", "Original Rogue v5" and such.
Yeah, the idea of a customized game is great. Customization is awesome and adds lots of replay value.
There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as death. All living matter ages over time and eventually dies... No matter how mighty or tiny its life force... So being alive means you're creeping closer to death with every second...
~Miguel
Zakia

Post by Zakia »

Bumped, CD leaked a secret on Toucharcade.
There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as death. All living matter ages over time and eventually dies... No matter how mighty or tiny its life force... So being alive means you're creeping closer to death with every second...
~Miguel
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

Zakia wrote:Bumped, CD leaked a secret on Toucharcade.
Dread Pirate Roberts has an interesting and not immediately obvious skill too... I'm sure someone will notice it :)
Shadowbubbles

Post by Shadowbubbles »

Dread Pirate Roberts' strength can't be reduced. He spent years building up his immunity to iocaine powder, a deadly poison. Awesome! :D
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

Shadowbubbles wrote:Dread Pirate Roberts' strength can't be reduced. He spent years building up his immunity to iocaine powder, a deadly poison. Awesome! :D
HaHa! What a good old movie that was... Never mess with a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line! :lol:
Bigdave

Post by Bigdave »

CommanderData wrote:
A lot of people like to restart and get a ring though! Here's a little secret if you like rings a lot... try playing as "Jared" (if you have one of these around your area you'll get the joke. it's a jewerly store for those that don't)! Playing as "Jared" you start off with THREE rings, all identified. But you need a weapon :lol: Plus he can appraise any ring and know what it is immediately after picking it up- no identify scrolls needed for rings. Enjoy! :D
CD,
In an old game I remember having the ability to grow additional fingers by drinking a potion. This would allow you to wear additional rings.
It also allowed you to grow an additional eye, which could be useful as an inherent ability to search or see invisible?

Just some extra thoughts, still loving the game, and cannot wait until v2.
Dave