A couple of suggestions

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Ollie

A couple of suggestions

Post by Ollie »

First off, great game, I love it. I found it looking on the iPhone for "Dungeon of Doom" (check it out here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dungeon_Revealed) which I LOVED when I was a kid.

I do however have a couple of suggestions for improvement:

1. Staircases UP!
This is something I really miss from the version I used to play. There are a couple of reasons why they would be useful:
- Getting back to a floor you haven't explored fully from falling down a pit trap
- Returning to an easier level when you find you've gone too deep for your character

2. A context sensitive "smart" button.
This button could always be in the same spot, and it could change it's function based on what's happening in the game:
- It could switch to "drink potion X" if the last thing that happened was picking up a potion
- Same as above for reading a scroll
- It could switch to "descend stairs" when you're on a staircase
- It could be "shoot" if you're holding a bow
- It could switch to "drink healing potion" if you are injured past a certain point
- It could be "eat food" when you get hungry and you have food rations
- Etc etc.

Basically, the idea is that it could save you a lot of clicking through menus to perform these obvious actions.

Anyway, keep up the good work!
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Re: A couple of suggestions

Post by CommanderData »

Neat, I remember playing that back in my brief stint at college on those 512kb Macs!

Going up stairs is only allowed after retrieving the amulet. Unfortunately, if you fall through a pit trap you have to deal with the consequences in this game... features of "Dungeon of Doom" from 1987, won't be brought back into a game that did not have them- "Rogue", it's grandfather, released in 1980. That would upset people who are playing this because it IS Rogue :D

The context sensitive button is a good idea overall, except when you end up with multiple choices available to you. Sword of Fargoal used it to relatively good effect, but I'm hesitant to try it in Rogue Touch because of the different combat mechanics and increased options available in Rogue. Not to say it cannot work, but it might be a while before I try it.

In the meantime, I can tell you that context sensitive buttons will make an appearance in Spirit Hunter Mineko. Perhaps that work will give me the confidence to back-port the idea to Rogue Touch later! ;)