What to do with Spartacus?

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
hefalumps

What to do with Spartacus?

Post by hefalumps »

I just recently beat RogueTouch for the first time using a non-special character. It was extremely satisfying, as I've been playing some form of Rogue on and off since the 80s and never defeated it. So now that I had won, I wanted to start searching for secret characters and try my hand at dungeon diving.

I created a character called Spartacus, hoping he might be a secret character. He wasn't. But he ended up being great. I took him down to level 33 or so, but I kept running into HP-sapping vampires that were making it harder and harder for me to survive dragon and jabberwock attacks, so I figured I might as well finally grab the amulet and start heading up.

I didn't think I'd make it back to the surface in tact and with enough food, but somehow I did. Along the way I'd managed to acquire enough experience to get to "Rogue Addict" level, and I had cleared out the entire first floor, so there was really nothing left to do but win the game again. I only had one mushroom left and was hungry, but I was wearing two rings of slow digestion, so maybe I could last a little longer if I wanted to.

I had three potions of demolition and a few unknown potions, so I figured - why not drink them? Nothing to lose. I quaffed the demolition potions (healing after each) and was surprised how many XPs they gave me. After the first one, I turned to "Rogue God" and after the next two to "Time Waster". One of my unknown potions blinded me, but the other was a "raise level", so I achieved the rank of "Bug Chaser" - hilarious.

Problem is - now I don't know what to do. What would happen if I dropped the amulet or threw it at someone so that I could start descending again? Would the amulet go all the way back to Level 26? I don't want to totally mess myself up (because I don't think I could survive all the way back to Level 26) but at the same time - I'm not ready to end the journey of Spartacus.

What do you think I should do?
johndramey

Re: What to do with Spartacus?

Post by johndramey »

I say end it for poor Spartacus. The man has gone through enough to last more than a lifetime. Let him retire in peace. You can always start again as Speartacus!
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

hefalumps wrote:I just recently beat RogueTouch for the first time using a non-special character.
Congrats!
hefalumps wrote:Problem is - now I don't know what to do. What would happen if I dropped the amulet or threw it at someone so that I could start descending again? Would the amulet go all the way back to Level 26? I don't want to totally mess myself up (because I don't think I could survive all the way back to Level 26) but at the same time - I'm not ready to end the journey of Spartacus.

What do you think I should do?
Yes, if you dropped the Amulet and then descended to level 2, the Amulet would "teleport" all the way back to level 26.

I agree with johndramey, finish off that game and then start a new one. Additionally, "level dancing" (generally confined to level 25 and 26, but I think that what you want to do would apply as well) is a tactic that is generally frowned upon for those looking to gain a place on the leaderboards.
hefalumps

Post by hefalumps »

Thanks to both of you for your input. I do see how what I'm considering doing (dropping the amulet on Floor 1 and heading back down to 26 to get it again) could be considered a form of level dancing. Don't want to feel like a cheater.

I guess I'll walk up those stairs when I get home tonight. At least I should get a prominent place on the leaderboards for a month. :-)
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Nice... looks like you got current tops on the Richest and just snuck in on the Quickest (which I'm *still* holding down the top spot on, apparently).
hefalumps

Post by hefalumps »

Hah... quickest was definitely not my goal. I'm surprised I showed up there at all.

I'm proud of my top spot on the "Killing Spree" board - too bad it only lasts 48 hours.

And apparently I went down as far as floor 35, not 33. I didn't know the game kept track of that internally.

Is there an all-time leaderboard somewhere?
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

hefalumps wrote:Is there an all-time leaderboard somewhere?
The only all-time board is the Wealthiest Rogues board (http://bestrogues.chronosoft.com/RTdisplayWealthHOF.php)... but to get on there you have to *die* (whether you retrieve the amulet or not).
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

Heh, fun to see some fighting for the top spots! Maybe I'll expand the length of time you remain on top of any of the boards to at least a week. Previously I kept it on a few days to encourage more attempts to get to the top and prevent one person from holding the crown too long.

Since the rush has subsided around here in-between releases it wouldn't hurt to adjust some of the rules :D