I did it!

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
DaveH

I did it!

Post by DaveH »

Without using any special secrets (that I know of, at least!), I made it out with the amulet! I do have to say though, the 1.1 changes made it much easier to do so. Midway down I obtained a +3,+3 freezing mace and that ended up to be the difference. I also got lucky and got 2 rings of slow digestion which I used quite a bit until switching to the maintain armor ring, and then to the +2 protection ring. Oh, I also found two of those demolition potions (which raise your level). Anyway, I don't have much time now to go into details, but here's some verifying screenshots!

The Victory Screen:

My screen before going up the final stairs:

My final inventory:

-dave
Zakia

Re: I did it!

Post by Zakia »

Great job!

The trick is always getting a special item, I got a +3 +3 bow (I think, may have been 5) and made it through narrowly.
There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as death. All living matter ages over time and eventually dies... No matter how mighty or tiny its life force... So being alive means you're creeping closer to death with every second...
~Miguel
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

Congratulations!!!!

I know there's going to be a few more reports like this one. Everyone was worried that the balance would be tipped a bit with the super-weapons. :D I think it was just slightly tipped the wrong way.

Fortunately for everyone here I've been working hard to re-balance the game and introduce an advanced scoring detail for the Hall of Fame. This will mean that you will have a way to actually compare how awesome you are to the next guy! Not an online service just yet, but you'll be pleased :lol:

Another upcoming secret will actually give you something to do besides go after the Amulet of Yendor :twisted:

More details coming soon!
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

that sounds great CD! I love how committed you are to making an already great game even better!

It was a great experience making it all the way to the end, but I do have to agree it is slightly unbalanced now (since this post I actually won again, this time by getting a blessed +3/+3 two handed sword on level 4!)

On the other hand, the original rogue feels too unbalanced as well ( in the other direction) - once I would get to lvl 19 or 20 it would become impossible to stay alive. At least for me it was! So I'm glad you are rebalancing, bit don't make it impossible... :-)

- dave
kennfusion

Post by kennfusion »

Grats on getting the amulet!

I still have not completed it once yet, but I have got close to getting it.

So far I don't find the new super weapons unbalancing. Actually I just played a game where I saw one of those "special" messages for the first time in a few games and I immediately fell through a trap door like 3 steps later....lol
Ranger

Post by Ranger »

It seems that the only way to beat the game without any cheats is to have all the pieces fall into place.

That is finding a great weapon and great armor.

I have played using my standard armor and always die by a troll or griffon if they are not upgraded.

It is all about how lucky you are to find a great weapon/armor.
davidonabus

Post by davidonabus »

I just finished it. Barely.

I used a "Special" character.. so, that certainly helped.

I had a ring of Slow Digestion, a sword of freezing, and armor that could not be rusted.

And I very narrowly made it out without starving to death.

I've been playing Rogue for 25 years. It's nice to finally win ;)

My level was "Dragonlord" and I had 124 HP, 22 Strength, and 2 AC when I finished.

d.
amnizu

Post by amnizu »

So much for AT&T's "more bars in more places" shit.
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

amnizu wrote:So much for AT&T's "more bars in more places" shit.
:lol:

I wasn't sure what the heck you were on about, until I scrolled back up and took a closer look at the photos... I don't even have 3G in my area! At least my 2G phone does actually get 4-5 bars usually ;)
Zakia

Post by Zakia »

CommanderData wrote:
amnizu wrote:So much for AT&T's "more bars in more places" shit.
:lol:

I wasn't sure what the heck you were on about, until I scrolled back up and took a closer look at the photos... I don't even have 3G in my area!
Did you check and see if it was cursed?
There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as death. All living matter ages over time and eventually dies... No matter how mighty or tiny its life force... So being alive means you're creeping closer to death with every second...
~Miguel