Unfortunate vorpalizing

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
oldroguer

Unfortunate vorpalizing

Post by oldroguer »

So in a recent game I'm on level 19 with a mediocre mace, when I finally find a vorpalize scroll. Yay, right? Wrong! I now have a Mace of Ice Monster Slaying! Seriously? On level 19??! I couldn't stop laughing though. Couple games later, similar depth, and I vorpalize my long sword into....wait for it....Hobgoblin Slaying!

I gotta get a new set of dice....

OldRoguer
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Re: Unfortunate vorpalizing

Post by CommanderData »

Ouch! You most definitely need something for better luck!

A bit of inside scoop on how Vorpalizing selection works- it starts with the most powerful monsters deep in the dungeon, and works its way backwards. Essentially it flips a coin at each monster and asks, this one? If the answer is NO, back up a step to a lesser monster and try again. Its more complicated than that, but you get the idea. If you get all the way to the end and haven't picked one, if I recall correctly it'll auto-assign a Medusa to the weapon. For you to get down into the wimpy monsters twice in the same game is some very bad luck. Save your money on lottery tickets this week :lol:
oldroguer

Post by oldroguer »

Thanks for the insight, CD. I have once or twice saved a second vorpal scroll for deeper levels, hoping to find a better weapon than the standard mace to use it on. Does that reduce the likelihood of getting a decent monster targeted? I seem to have rather unfortunate luck overall with vorpalize. Most times I get it early on and never get far enough down to encounter the monster it's targeted for.

By the way, is that a new feature with Rogue Touch? I don't recall vorpalize scrolls in the original Rogue. Of course, that was many years and grey hairs ago so maybe I'm just forgetful. I remember using a Vorpal Sword, but that might have been in Moria or some other Rogue-like.

OldRoguer
oldroguer

Post by oldroguer »

OK, seriously? Current game, Level 14, found a second vorpal scroll. I wielded the new war hammer I just picked up, read the scroll, and voila!....Emu Slaying??!

Bother!