WTF?

Post by Trogdor »

Ouch!
IMG_0092.png
IMG_0092.png (29.52 KiB) Viewed 30939 times
Nighthawk

Re: WTF?

Post by Nighthawk »

Is the question "Why is there a potion generated in a maze?" or "Why can't I get to the potion?" 'Ouch' sort of lacks in the descriptive department.
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

Huh, that is very interesting. I don't think I've ever seen a maze generated that you could not reach every square in. You went around every side corridor of that area and not one of them opened into that potion?

I'm not sure if that is a maze generation problem or an item generation/placement problem, but it definitely needs a closer look! :D
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I have seen that pattern a few times now, but never with an item in it.
NightOwl40

Post by NightOwl40 »

I've seen that pattern a few times too.........of course since the maze and item generation is all random, I think that the statistical probability of what happened in that screenshot is rather small. Even so, it is swearword worthy, especially if it's a potion you've already identified and want :roll:
Bulgroth

Post by Bulgroth »

What I've noticed in Rogue is that the maze replaces rooms. In all aspects. It even spawns items in the pseudo-room, and even stairs. So... It's conceivable that an unjoined square like that *could* indeed have an item in it, although pretty rare.
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

The problem is that there shouldn't be any unjoined squares in a maze. Imagine if that was the stairs instead of just a potion!
You're correct about the maze == room. In fact, I'm not sure if it's implemented in this version of the game, but treasure rooms (rooms with lots of monsters and items) can come in maze varieties as well.
Trogdor

Post by Trogdor »

Yeah, I've seen the pattern a few times, but that was the only time I've seen one with a potion in it.

Didn't even think that stairs could be generated there. That sure would suck. I guess just wander around and hope for a pit trap :)