Bug Reports

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Nighthawk

Re: Bug Reports

Post by Nighthawk »

RavenWorks wrote:iPhone 3GS, iOS 4.0.1, no jailbreak, RT 1.6 : Status text hangs below where it's possible to see! i.e., status messages all arrive late.

1) I pick up a scroll. The status says nothing.
2) I pick up some gold. The status says I picked up a scroll.
3) I walk around for a while. The status section suddenly says I picked up some gold.

It seems like the latest line is appearing below what's visible, and has to be scrolled into view by a later event (or autoscrolling).
This is one we didn't see in testing. Did this happen during the first game you played after the update? Was it on the very first floor, or did it start to happen later in your game?

One last thing, a test, if you will: Quit Rogue Touch from the multitasking menu, reboot your phone, and start a new game. Do you still have the problem?

RavenWorks wrote:Also: changing your settings doesn't do anything until the game is removed from multitasking.

1) I launch the game. I notice that the update enabled double-tap fast-travel.
2) I tap my home button. I go to my settings app, and disable it.
3) I tap the Rogue Touch icon. The game resumes precisely where I was. Double-tap fast-travel is still enabled.
4) I tap my home button. I open the multitasking menu, and remove Rogue Touch from it.
5) I tap the Rogue Touch icon. The game opens with its loading screen. When I load my save file, Double-tap fast-travel is disabled.

(iPhone 3GS, iOS 4.0.1, no jailbreak, RT 1.6)
For this one, there's an easy fix (it's mentioned in the "Settings" section of the Info page in the app): "Note that iOS4 Multitasking users will need to make sure they swipe to return to the title screen in order to make the setting changes active." So, you don't need to quit RT from the multitask menu just to get settings to update (note: changing the "Controls" setting will require a multitask quit and re-launch to see the change. It's the only setting that requires such action to be taken.
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

Nighthawk wrote:
RavenWorks wrote:iPhone 3GS, iOS 4.0.1, no jailbreak, RT 1.6 : Status text hangs below where it's possible to see! i.e., status messages all arrive late.

1) I pick up a scroll. The status says nothing.
2) I pick up some gold. The status says I picked up a scroll.
3) I walk around for a while. The status section suddenly says I picked up some gold.

It seems like the latest line is appearing below what's visible, and has to be scrolled into view by a later event (or autoscrolling).
This is one we didn't see in testing. Did this happen during the first game you played after the update? Was it on the very first floor, or did it start to happen later in your game?

One last thing, a test, if you will: Quit Rogue Touch from the multitasking menu, reboot your phone, and start a new game. Do you still have the problem?

RavenWorks wrote:Also: changing your settings doesn't do anything until the game is removed from multitasking.

1) I launch the game. I notice that the update enabled double-tap fast-travel.
2) I tap my home button. I go to my settings app, and disable it.
3) I tap the Rogue Touch icon. The game resumes precisely where I was. Double-tap fast-travel is still enabled.
4) I tap my home button. I open the multitasking menu, and remove Rogue Touch from it.
5) I tap the Rogue Touch icon. The game opens with its loading screen. When I load my save file, Double-tap fast-travel is disabled.

For this one, there's an easy fix (it's mentioned in the "Settings" section of the Info page in the app): "Note that iOS4 Multitasking users will need to make sure they swipe to return to the title screen in order to make the setting changes active." So, you don't need to quit RT from the multitask menu just to get settings to update (note: changing the "Controls" setting will require a multitask quit and re-launch to see the change. It's the only setting that requires such action to be taken.
I agree, never saw that status text "de-synched" from the game, although we were both running plain iOS 4, not 4.01? I think the only change there was signal strength indication for the iPhone antenna. Have you updated since then? I need to keep mine on base iOS 4.0 as long as possible for compatibility testing. Agree that it might clear out with a complete quit from the multitasking menu, or a reboot of the device.

You had expressed concern that people might not notice need to "return to title screen" to apply changes... Looks like that was justified. It's in the changelog and mentioned in the settings section of the instructions I think, but I will try to come up with a way to make it more obvious in the next update. Maybe some text in the settings app itself that states the solution? :D
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

CommanderData wrote:I agree, never saw that status text "de-synched" from the game, although we were both running plain iOS 4, not 4.01? I think the only change there was signal strength indication for the iPhone antenna. Have you updated since then?
I think I did all my testing for v1.6 on iOS 4.0.0... I don't remember updating until you told me you'd uploaded to Apple. I didn't notice it in 4.0.0 (and we noticed a lot!) and haven't seen it in 4.0.1.
CommanderData wrote:You had expressed concern that people might not notice need to "return to title screen" to apply changes... Looks like that was justified. It's in the changelog and mentioned in the settings section of the instructions I think, but I will try to come up with a way to make it more obvious in the next update. Maybe some text in the settings app itself that states the solution? :D
I'm thinking something at the very top of the page within the Settings app, otherwise it will be missed there too. There's no good concise way to relay the information without resorting to broken English that I can think of... "Resume game from Main Menu to affect changes" is about as close as I can get that still makes sense.
RavenWorks

Post by RavenWorks »

OK, in fact, the de-synched text isn't happening anymore -- I didn't notice at what moment it started working correctly, but I believe that I had 'soft-quit' a few times (with the fast-app resume) without it fixing the problem, but it's possible that the force-quit fixed it. It was indeed my first new game after installing the update, and that's the same game I'm still on now. I'll let you know if it happens again, though..

Also, sorry about missing the warning about the settings ;) I guess I had just assumed that the settings app hadn't changed... Maybe you could have a dialogue box pop up the first time someone changes that setting?
RavenWorks

Post by RavenWorks »

When I popped open the game this morning, it fast-app resumed, but the status area was two instances of the line "the gods sent us a message: 'Low Memory Warning' ". Is that the sort of thing you need brought to your attention?
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

RavenWorks wrote:When I popped open the game this morning, it fast-app resumed, but the status area was two instances of the line "the gods sent us a message: 'Low Memory Warning' ". Is that the sort of thing you need brought to your attention?
That type of warning occurs when the OS sends a low memory warning to all running programs. Prior to iOS 4 it would be highly unlikely to ever see this message on a 3GS or 3rd gen iPod Touch since they have 256 MB RAM. Older devices would see it more often, since they only have 128MB RAM and use 3/4 of that for the OS ;)

I suspect that iOS 4 multi-taskers might end up seeing this more frequently. Fast App Switching means you end up with a number of idle background programs hogging up memory. It's not a very serious condition as the system should terminate another background program to make sure you have enough room to keep using the foreground app (Rogue Touch in this case).

If you'd like to ensure you plenty of memory available you can manually close out some apps in the multi-tasking list, but it's not really necessary. Hope you (and everyone else) are enjoying the improved speed of the 1.6 update :mrgreen:
Elric

Post by Elric »

I just updated to the latest version and have noticed that the game is crashing to the Ipod main screen occaisionally. I believe that this is what happens. I killed a monster and it dropped items on top of a hidden trap when I went to pick up the items I crashed to the main Ipod screen. Once the game crashes you have to restart the level that you were on so a bit of a pain, but not too much. Just thought I would let you know. Version 1.6 of Rogue Touch and Version 4.0 of Ipod software using an Ipod touch model MB531C.
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

Elric wrote:I just updated to the latest version and have noticed that the game is crashing to the Ipod main screen occaisionally. I believe that this is what happens. I killed a monster and it dropped items on top of a hidden trap when I went to pick up the items I crashed to the main Ipod screen. Once the game crashes you have to restart the level that you were on so a bit of a pain, but not too much. Just thought I would let you know. Version 1.6 of Rogue Touch and Version 4.0 of Ipod software using an Ipod touch model MB531C.
Are you certain the items fell onto a hidden trap? I mean, did you see the trap spring as you attempted to pick up the items? If so, what kind of trap was it? That information would be helpful for finding the cause of your issue... let me know! :D
Elric

Post by Elric »

CommanderData wrote:
Elric wrote:I just updated to the latest version and have noticed that the game is crashing to the Ipod main screen occaisionally. I believe that this is what happens. I killed a monster and it dropped items on top of a hidden trap when I went to pick up the items I crashed to the main Ipod screen. Once the game crashes you have to restart the level that you were on so a bit of a pain, but not too much. Just thought I would let you know. Version 1.6 of Rogue Touch and Version 4.0 of Ipod software using an Ipod touch model MB531C.
Are you certain the items fell onto a hidden trap? I mean, did you see the trap spring as you attempted to pick up the items? If so, what kind of trap was it? That information would be helpful for finding the cause of your issue... let me know! :D
Unfortunately I didn't go back onto the same spot or have the items drop onto the same hex after getting back onto the level. The next time it happens I will make an effort to see if I can replicate the exact crash. It has happened three times since updating and I remember that something like this was happening on one of the first versions of Rogue Touch which you had fixed previously. I did not see the trap spring. The next time it happens I will just walk to the spot where I crashed and see if either a trap springs or if I drop an item on the spot I crash. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the quick reply! Still playing this game after a year and many other games have come and gone from my touch in that time. :D
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Dumb question: when you say the monster dropped "items" (plural), was it really more than one item? Was the monster a skeleton? If so, this is a known bug.