Bug Reports

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
lr100

Re: Bug Reports

Post by lr100 »

CommanderData wrote:
lr100 wrote:I have had the game crash on me twice so far (in a lot of usage so not too bad). Both times the crash happened right after moving down the stairs to a new level. Both times I resumed the game and it had me right where I left off so not a big problem other than the crash. Appears to be right after saving or starting a new level.
Hi, lr100! Can you answer a couple of extra bits of info for me:

What device- iPod, iPod 2nd gen, iPhone or iPhone 3G?
What firmware level are you on?
Have you jailbroken your device?

I've seen a few reports of this, but it's tough to track down what's causing it. As you said, the saved game is there for you to pick up where you left off, but it is an annoyance that I'd like to stamp out! If you can fill in those blanks for me it might help me get close :geek:

Thanks!
Device: Original iPhone 8GB
Latest firmware
Never jailbroken
lr100

Post by lr100 »

lr100 wrote:Just downloaded the update. Much appreciated in terms of the doors on the minimap and the double tap to move around. I see two things that need to be improved:

1) It registers double taps too easily. I will be single tapping in a direction and all of a sudden my guy will take off running. Is there a way to make it so that the double tap requires faster tapping than just two taps fairly close together? This has caused me quite a few mistakes.

2) In the system preferences it shows the name but its not editable there. Should be editable there as well. Kind of confusing when you see it and click on it but nothing happens.

Overall so far, its a great update.
Related to #1 above. Maybe make it a triple tap instead of double if you can't adjust the timing?
Zakia

Post by Zakia »

I'm not sure if I want double tap... I'm so used to tapping really fast with 2 thumbs now. That and a tiny slip may make you re-walk into a trap.
There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as death. All living matter ages over time and eventually dies... No matter how mighty or tiny its life force... So being alive means you're creeping closer to death with every second...
~Miguel
lr100

Post by lr100 »

Zakia wrote:I'm not sure if I want double tap... I'm so used to tapping really fast with 2 thumbs now. That and a tiny slip may make you re-walk into a trap.
The double tap is already there in 1.1. Its a pref you turn on or off.
gaerisl

Post by gaerisl »

reporting solution to unknown bug that causes rogue touch to crash upon start. (in case anyone has the same problem)

problem: crash upon start. splash screen loads, however, does not make it to menu. application closes.

how it started: updated, changed settings (all options on). started new game with non-default name, walked around, killed monsters, wore 2 sets of armor, then pressed home screen to quit game. upon restart, game always crashes.

other information: jailbroken iphone 3g. software 2.2.1, older baseband preserved. plenty of memory (as indicated by sbsettings. crashes with 30+ megs of memory free. i watched it while it was loading. available memory would drop about 3 to 5 megs, and then crash. memory would then be freed again by the same amount.)

things that did not work:
tapping randomly on the screen while splash screen was showing and menu was supposedly loading.
hard and soft restart.
changing settings to default. changing settings to all off.
pressing/holding the home key during startup (does not stop the loading or exit. and 'backgrounder' does not enable backgrounding for application.)

Solution:
sync rogue touch ver 1.1 with pc.
delete rogue touch on ihpone.
resync to re-install rogue touch.

So far, no problems getting to the menu. will report back if this happens again or i have more info.
Ihateants

Post by Ihateants »

In 10 minutes play this morning I had two descents to a new level crash on me. Both times without saving the start of the new level. This is with the new version of Rogue Touch.
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

OK, let's start the morning off in here! First topic at 6:30AM, bug reports :mrgreen:

lr100 wrote:Just downloaded the update. Much appreciated in terms of the doors on the minimap and the double tap to move around. I see two things that need to be improved:

1) It registers double taps too easily. I will be single tapping in a direction and all of a sudden my guy will take off running. Is there a way to make it so that the double tap requires faster tapping than just two taps fairly close together? This has caused me quite a few mistakes.

2) In the system preferences it shows the name but its not editable there. Should be editable there as well. Kind of confusing when you see it and click on it but nothing happens.

1) Double tap is fairly sensitive! You can however cancel a move in progress by tapping once anywhere on the screen if you accidentally trigger it. We'll take a look at that sensitivity too.

2) The system preferences name was intended to just be a reminder. I had thought that once people got things set up the way they liked there would be no real need to return to the settings app (since it remembers the last name at the game start screen). Editing that in prefs in not out of the question, just not sure if there's a big call for it. We'll see if anyone else chimes in :)

Glad you like it so far!

lr100 wrote: Also another thing related to #2. When you do enter a new game, your name shows up in grey text. It not obvious that if you just hit return it will use that name. Rather than setting the name as the background text for the control it should be the foreground text. Background text would be something like "Enter your name".

The iPhone entry box uses the grey text to show the "default" entry if you want to press the OK button and accept it. We could pre-fill the text in which would make it dark black, but then you'd still need to press OK. The downside of that would be that you'd have to use the delete key to backspace the name out of there if you want to try another one (such as a secret name, or like the kids here all taking turns playing on one iPhone! :lol: )

lr100 wrote: Related to #1 above. Maybe make it a triple tap instead of double if you can't adjust the timing?

Triple tap is a possibility too! I had actually thought about that when initially playtesting, but then I got the hang of double tapping. We won't change it immediately, but see how everyone adjusts to it first. If double-tap is still very problematic for some of you after the first week we'll take a poll on changing to triple tap.

gaerisl wrote:reporting solution to unknown bug that causes rogue touch to crash upon start. (in case anyone has the same problem)

problem: crash upon start. splash screen loads, however, does not make it to menu. application closes.

how it started: updated, changed settings (all options on). started new game with non-default name, walked around, killed monsters, wore 2 sets of armor, then pressed home screen to quit game. upon restart, game always crashes.

other information: jailbroken iphone 3g. software 2.2.1, older baseband preserved. plenty of memory (as indicated by sbsettings. crashes with 30+ megs of memory free. i watched it while it was loading. available memory would drop about 3 to 5 megs, and then crash. memory would then be freed again by the same amount.)

things that did not work:
tapping randomly on the screen while splash screen was showing and menu was supposedly loading.
hard and soft restart.
changing settings to default. changing settings to all off.
pressing/holding the home key during startup (does not stop the loading or exit. and 'backgrounder' does not enable backgrounding for application.)

Solution:
sync rogue touch ver 1.1 with pc.
delete rogue touch on ihpone.
resync to re-install rogue touch.

So far, no problems getting to the menu. will report back if this happens again or i have more info.

Gaerisl- yours is only one of two instances we have heard of where the game dies like that (I am unsure if the other case was jailbroken, but I cannot duplicate it myself). I know roughly what is causing it- a corrupted save file from the previous close of Rogue Touch. As the game is opened up it looks for a saved game and if found loads it up during the start of the music at the title screen.

3 to 5 MB usage sounds correct for us to initialize and load a saved game into RAM. Are you very technically oriented? There might be a way for you to supply me with that crash log. Send me a PM whenever you get back to the forums!

Ihateants wrote:In 10 minutes play this morning I had two descents to a new level crash on me. Both times without saving the start of the new level. This is with the new version of Rogue Touch.

Descending to a new level has caused hiccups for a few people. I really wanted to put a lot of new stuff into version 1.2 but we might have to issue another quick update instead to address these details first!
shadowspawn

Post by shadowspawn »

Hurrah for doors on mini-map in 1.1!

I find the map looks slightly odd, and think it is because the walls of the room are drawn in the same color as the room. This also makes corridors touching a room appear part of the room. Perhaps the room walls could be a different colour, perhaps a light colour and thinner than grid square size. (Slightly more complicated to draw than simple grid though, and only minor possible cosmetic enhancement!)
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

shadowspawn wrote:Hurrah for doors on mini-map in 1.1!

I find the map looks slightly odd, and think it is because the walls of the room are drawn in the same color as the room. This also makes corridors touching a room appear part of the room. Perhaps the room walls could be a different colour, perhaps a light colour and thinner than grid square size. (Slightly more complicated to draw than simple grid though, and only minor possible cosmetic enhancement!)
Yay! Glad that you really like it :mrgreen:

(This is probably more of a feature request too, but I'm feeling too lazy to log into the admin console and move it right now ;) )

Changing the hallway drawing slightly might make sense at first glance, but I think that would make the mazes on the deeper levels much harder to represent. Maybe easier to make the walls a different color? But of course I don't want to spoil the simplicity of the map either- if the new wall color makes it harder to spot the doors we're right back in the doghouse again :D We'll experiment a bit and see if something sticks!
lr100

Post by lr100 »

lr100 wrote:

Related to #1 above. Maybe make it a triple tap instead of double if you can't adjust the timing?
I think there are two things with with #2. One, I don't think you should even show it in the prefs if its not editable. Prefs are for setting things. (Obviously this is really minor). It was just disconcerting when I tried to change it and it wouldn't change. I thought for a second the machine had crashed or something. So I would say either remove it, or make it editable. Then related to that, when the new game starts, 95% of the time, you are going to be using the same name you always use, so the default name should appear in black foreground text making it obvious that hitting return will enter that name again. For the 5% when you put in a new name its no big deal to retype it.