Pick up and play

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Zakia

Pick up and play

Post by Zakia »

I've been trying to get into nethack, but to no avail, it's difficulty is too big for me due to some memory issues I have.
Therefore I tried Rogue touch, a simple looking remake. I'm astounded how this is like Nethack yet maintains a great difficulty. I can pick this up and play it any day and not fear key memorization. It never gets old, albeit the low variety as of now.

Thanks for giving me part of the Rouge experience on a lower level. Although I (Still) suck and make slips, it's very manageable and I deserve it when it happens.
There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as death. All living matter ages over time and eventually dies... No matter how mighty or tiny its life force... So being alive means you're creeping closer to death with every second...
~Miguel
kirothak

Re: Pick up and play

Post by kirothak »

well its not so much that rogue touch is like nethack, as nethack is like rogue which rogue touch is a remake of... wow that probably did not make any sense lol. the rogue family tree is kinda complex.

It started as rogue back in 1980 (i or abouts thats) original rogue had no grafix at all and was purely ASCII repersented, well latter through other vers of rogue simple tile set grafix where implamented (rogue touch being the first to have any forum of animations that i know of) there have been many incarnations of rogue since then for nearly every device under the sun. but rogue also spawned a whole genre known as "rogue likes" such as an early rogue like "Hack" (named so do to being a hack and slash style game) "NetHack" is a descendant of Hack named thus due to being hack and slash, and designed by several ppl over the net.

So in short Rogue touch is an incarnation of rogue, while nethack is a "rogue like"

and there is much more to the rogue family tree, thats not even touching Angband and its dozens of variants hehe.
Zakia

Post by Zakia »

kirothak wrote:well its not so much that rogue touch is like nethack, as nethack is like rogue which rogue touch is a remake of... wow that probably did not make any sense lol. the rogue family tree is kinda complex.

It started as rogue back in 1980 (i or abouts thats) original rogue had no grafix at all and was purely ASCII repersented, well latter through other vers of rogue simple tile set grafix where implamented (rogue touch being the first to have any forum of animations that i know of) there have been many incarnations of rogue since then for nearly every device under the sun. but rogue also spawned a whole genre known as "rogue likes" such as an early rogue like "Hack" (named so do to being a hack and slash style game) "NetHack" is a descendant of Hack named thus due to being hack and slash, and designed by several ppl over the net.

So in short Rogue touch is an incarnation of rogue, while nethack is a "rogue like"

and there is much more to the rogue family tree, thats not even touching Angband and its dozens of variants hehe.
Thanks for the summary, I was deep in academics when early computers came out =/
I missed loads.
There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as death. All living matter ages over time and eventually dies... No matter how mighty or tiny its life force... So being alive means you're creeping closer to death with every second...
~Miguel
shadowspawn

Post by shadowspawn »

Until I bought this game I had never looked at Rogue, although I played much Nethack many years ago and knew it was descended from Rogue. After getting a few fatal trips into the dungeon I spent some interesting hours catching up on the history, and looking for tips. The dungeon trips are still fatal, but now I know that wearing rings speeds food consumption. :) Starvation was just as much an issue in Nethack, so I think it is a feature and not a bug!

Here are links to the help for the original game, and Wikipedia links with history of Rogue and Rogue-like.

http://rayearlesgamehelp.info/Rfiles/Rogue.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_(computer_game)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue-like
kirothak

Post by kirothak »

Zakia wrote: Thanks for the summary, I was deep in academics when early computers came out =/
I missed loads.
lol hey now don't make me sound old rofl the first rogue came out 3 years before i was born ;-p i have just looked into it on the net and have played rogues and rogue likes off and on for 10 years. i am not a pro on the subject by any means ;-p umm infact most my rogue family knowledge comes from the very wiki links shadowspawn posted ;-p