Rogue Touch --- AVAILABLE NOW!

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Zakia

Re: Version 1.3 --- What the $@^&*! is going on --- and more

Post by Zakia »

jhawk wrote:how are online leader boards going to work as far as differenciating between players with the same names and keep the secret/hidden names unknown....some sort of sign in?
As far as I know they are differentiated by nationality and in-game name, and if you can count it, statistics.
There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as death. All living matter ages over time and eventually dies... No matter how mighty or tiny its life force... So being alive means you're creeping closer to death with every second...
~Miguel
jhawk

Post by jhawk »

that makes for some ambigious bragging rights, but since my char is just not going to die ill just have to post pics on here, maybe for 2.0 an account could be incorporated to make it more identifiable and keep the secrets secret
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

Zakia wrote:
jhawk wrote:how are online leader boards going to work as far as differenciating between players with the same names and keep the secret/hidden names unknown....some sort of sign in?
As far as I know they are differentiated by nationality and in-game name, and if you can count it, statistics.
jhawk, Zakia is correct. He's gotten a glimpse of a test page we have been tinkering with for the leaderboards.
jhawk wrote:that makes for some ambigious bragging rights, but since my char is just not going to die ill just have to post pics on here, maybe for 2.0 an account could be incorporated to make it more identifiable and keep the secrets secret
For this first incarnation, we didn't want anyone too recognizable- a lot of people prefer to keep their privacy or semi-anonymity. What happens is- your data is transmitted to our server when you finish a game (dead or alive) or whenever you go in and look at your local hall of fame. That means you can complete an amazing game while flying at 30,000 feet and not have to worry about the fact that it won't count. It will be fine, the data will be submitted whenever you get back into cell/wifi coverage and you view your in game hall of fame :D

When we get that data, we check for duplicates so we don't keep re-saving scores you have already submitted, and we also have checks for your character name to see if you were using a secret. Secret characters will not show up in the generic leaderboards! Otherwise the Top 10, 50, or 100 rogues would be full of Neos, Drizzts, and Thors!!! There may end up being a secret character leaderboard list, where all of you who only play those guys can duke it out though.

****** Everyone, read this idea below, if the response is good we'll set up an official annoucement/sticky for it soon ******

What I think I CAN do quite easily to make things a bit more interesting for us rogue geeks here :ugeek: is this:
Everyone who wants to participate in some "less ambiguous" bragging rights will be able to PM me with their UDID. This is a numeric identifier for your device, all iPod Touches and iPhones have them. They will also be necessary for us to have when we pick beta testers for upcoming games :D

Ok, so anyway you PM us the UDID. From there we can automagically mark the Leaderboards to show who you are! Jhawk- Let's say your character's name is "Griffinbane", and you get a good amount of gold or kills in a game. When that character and stats are submitted to us, the database can relate the UDID with your forum name!!!

So you would have a list rogues of something like this:

Code: Select all

USA 	Griffinbane (jhawk)	Warrior	   Killed by a Centaur with 610 gold pieces
USA 	Rodney		          Fighter		Killed by an Orc with 293 gold pieces
USA 	Rodney		          Journeyman	Killed by a Slime with 142 gold pieces
USA 	Eric			         Apprentice   Killed by an Ice Monster with 75 gold pieces

* Note that the online leaderboards are not actually formatted like this, I'm just using this text as an example!

So basically all participants in this forum name system would be able to point and say- there I am and challenge other forum participants to beat them!

Now this is not too hard to implement! We just need to collect a list of you forum users that want to participate and your UDIDs. From there with a bit of SQL and PHP coding magic you can point out your character in any list we'll have (because leaderboards will have multiple categories).

In addition, we'll probably start a local contest for registered forum members. That will have a private leaderboard where *only* forum characters show up. The new top person each week would get some sort of prize- well we don't know what that would be, but it'd have to be something that is useful to any/all nationalities (iTunes gift cards would be US only, so those are out).

We want to make it worthwhile for you guys to keep coming back here and make it fun to compete with each other here! :D

Final note- DO NOT PM YOUR UDID just yet. My private message box is almost full, and I'd lose most of them :lol: When I clean it out and see how the response to this idea is here in this thread we'll make the plan official and move forward.

Let me know here what you think of this concept! Hope everyone likes it :mrgreen:
Zakia

Post by Zakia »

CommanderData wrote:Final note- DO NOT PM YOUR UDID just yet. My private message box is almost full, and I'd lose most of them :lol: When I clean it out and see how the response to this idea is here in this thread we'll make the plan official and move forward.

Let me know here what you think of this concept! Hope everyone likes it :mrgreen:
Go to Private Msgs>Rules, Folders, settings> Choose to delete oldest. Make's things easier, just archive the important ones.

I like this idea, just make sure forum members have a decent amount (10-20) of posts. A quick check of the member list reveals quite a lot of non-posters and 1 posters.
There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as death. All living matter ages over time and eventually dies... No matter how mighty or tiny its life force... So being alive means you're creeping closer to death with every second...
~Miguel
BigDrahma

Post by BigDrahma »

I suppose I better post more then if I want my username to count! :mrgreen:

That's a cool idea you have CD; it's a good reward for us in the community (even lurkers like me)!
LordGek

Post by LordGek »

I like it. Covers the most key stats (gold and how they died).

Curious question here, what does actually WINNING do for your score? I mean I have to assume getting out with the amulet is better than just dying at random on the 28th level. Do you get the cash value for all of your inventory at the point of escape (I'd have to think that +5/+5 Longsword of Flame is worth a couple of bucks)?
Zakia

Post by Zakia »

LordGek wrote:Curious question here, what does actually WINNING do for your score? I mean I have to assume getting out with the amulet is better than just dying at random on the 28th level. Do you get the cash value for all of your inventory at the point of escape (I'd have to think that +5/+5 Longsword of Flame is worth a couple of bucks)?
I think you sell all your stuff at the surface. It'd be more logical, and selling all your stuff mid-game assures easy death and not as good as a score of beating the game with epic stuff.
BigDrahma wrote:I suppose I better post more then if I want my username to count! :mrgreen:

That's a cool idea you have CD; it's a good reward for us in the community (even lurkers like me)!
Whenever you post make sure it has some kind of substance, like a Reply, suggestion, ect. I'm personally a lurker myself (I keep my forum window up and refresh every hour or so) but you'd be surprised how many posts you get if you read/reply to daily posts.
~Miguel
BTA

Post by BTA »

That's a very interesting idea. It'll drive more people to join the community, which means more suggestions, which means a better game, in a way. ^_^
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

BTA wrote:That's a very interesting idea. It'll drive more people to join the community, which means more suggestions, which means a better game, in a way. ^_^
That's very true, and pretty much what I had in mind. It allows a bit of friendly (or not so) competition and will get more people to come here and discuss the game. In the end, it makes Rogue Touch even better and everyone wins! Now, I'd say I won't look for a specific "post count" for a weekly winner, but we may actually require that you logged in and made at least *one* posting contribution during the week :mrgreen:

We're still working out the plan here, but I'm glad to see that this seems well received so far!
jhawk

Post by jhawk »

Why go back up to level 26 when you can just keep going down, my first attempt this got me to 51, I'm heading back down and I think I'll make it to 100+ if it exists

Once you win your guy retires...first bunch of times is cool, but depth is where it's at o.O