Rogue Touch --- AVAILABLE NOW!

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Rogue Touch --- AVAILABLE NOW!

Post by CommanderData »

*********** UPDATE February 19th 2009 *************
It's finally available! Get Rogue Touch in the App Store here: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... 71870&mt=8

Rogue Touch is the classic dungeon adventure-RPG completely reborn for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Explore the Dungeons of Doom while trying to retrieve the Amulet of Yendor...

If you liked Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer (Chunsoft) or Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja (Success/Ninja Studio) you have to play Rogue Touch! (Rogue is the great-grandfather of these games and spawned an entire genre of "roguelikes" over nearly 30 years).

Rogue Touch features:
- Random dungeon layouts and items: no two games are ever the same!
- Graphical, animated actions, special attacks, traps, and more.
- Ambient background dungeon sounds.
- Auto-mapping feature with map overlay.
- Keyboard command system replaced with streamlined inventory-item-action system for simple touch gameplay. Read scrolls, Drink potions (or throw them at your enemies!) and much more with a clear, simple interface.
- Dedicated on-screen buttons for resting and searching for traps/secret doors.
- Auto save system so you can resume where you left off next time.
- All of the monsters and items as seen in the Rogue ports of the mid 1980s, plus new items!
- Secrets to be found!

caffo

Re: Rogue Touch coming soon!

Post by caffo »

Looks really cool. Feel free to ping me if you guys need any beta testing.
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

caffo, thanks for the interest in our first game! For your info (and anyone else interested), we may actually need some beta testers for our next update once the game is live in the App Store. When we're close to that point, I'll be sure to post a request for testers here. Watch this space :D
Ihateants

Post by Ihateants »

Soon isn't quick enough dammit man!

So are you going to do Nethack next? :)
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

We'd love to do Nethack... The code and control scheme may be a bit more difficult to work with, but we certainly don't want to back down from a challenge! Once you get to play our version of Rogue we'd love suggestions on customizing Nethack to a similar degree :mrgreen:

Oh, and soon hopefully will be mid to late next week. We officially submitted to Apple's black hole of reviewers late last night!
Ihateants

Post by Ihateants »

Nice one. The iPhone has really needed a good Roguelike for a while now. There's another port of Rogue allready in the store but it isn't much fun to play. From the video it looks like you've gotten the major interface problems cracked.

What's the price going to be?
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

Ihateants wrote:Nice one. The iPhone has really needed a good Roguelike for a while now. There's another port of Rogue allready in the store but it isn't much fun to play. From the video it looks like you've gotten the major interface problems cracked.

What's the price going to be?
Yes, I played the other port. When it came out we were already a month into development, all our artwork was ready, some dungeon code functional. When we saw that release we were briefly deterred. As you note the gameplay is sorely lacking on that port. Rogue Touch was written from scratch rather than as a port of an existing version, which allowed us to make things more animated and get the feel of the game right (and add in some secrets as well).

We definitely feel that Rogue Touch outshines the other port by a wide margin, and is arguably the most fun version around (yeah, we're biased, but I've played more hours and more versions than I should have)! We're looking at $2.99 as the promotional price for at least a week. If there is enough interest in Rogue Touch we'll definitely be on board for a custom Nethack project!
Womp

Post by Womp »

I just received my iPod Touch in the mail waiting to be opened at home and this made my day. As someone who grew up with a Commodore 64 and games such as Temple of Apshai I saw Rogue Touch just now and :o

I'm new to the Touch so I am anxious to see how you guys pull this off, it looks absolutely fantastic so far. If you are offering a beta release I'd love to try it out.

Thanks and good luck to you. :)

Chris Hentschel

- Co-Host of DualScreenRadio.com
Ihateants

Post by Ihateants »

I've posted the news on a couple of forums with people who'd like it. The word needs to be spread. Quick! To the Kotaku mobile!
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

I'm glad that there's still an audience for the classics! We grew up playing games on the Apple II, Commodore 64 and Atari 800. We certainly don't want to limit ourselves only to roguelikes, but if people like them enough we'll continue to produce them!

Womp- version 1.0 of Rogue Touch is in review now with Apple. When we're ready to bring out the next revision I will post a topic to solicit beta testers. I'll expect everyone to be familiar with our game by then so that we can balance new gameplay features (we don't want it to get too easy, it wouldn't be a roguelike then would it :lol: )