Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
plaidman

Re: Version 1.3 --- Submitted to Apple

Post by plaidman »

I'm gonna cry.
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Version 1.3 --- Update is Finally Live 3/25 at 11PM EST!!!

Post by CommanderData »

Gentlemen... how do we kill Superman? No wait, this is not the right forum...

OK, all of you have been wondering, as we have, where in the world the 1.3 update was. Last night we got an unfortunate e-mail from Apple stating that they had discovered a show-stopping bug and could not approve it. To their credit, they did provide crash logs. Not so much credit for sitting on the logs for over 24 hours instead of telling us right away though :roll: I won't even get into the fact that those logs also indicate that it never got seen by a person until 3/17, a week after submission ;)

I have a hunch that our tester may actually be a fan though, as the bug he discovered appeared on an iPod Touch, but not his or her iPhone. The nature of the found bug is such that it would only be a problem on a *new* install, and not an issue if you had upgraded an existing version... which means this individual may have bought/kept a copy to play. Hi Apple Employee! *waves* Hope you like it and can get us fast-tracked for re-approval :lol:

Using the crash logs they provided we were able to reproduce the problem, determine what caused it, and eliminate the bug. The problem was related to some of the users settings and defaults not being properly defined on a new install. This has actually been around for a while- some of you reported the game not playing audio for you. That is tied to this same issue, it's just in 1.3 if the default zoom did not get defined properly on start up, the game would crash. Simply going into the settings app and picking a zoom level would have corrected it, but I can understand why they rejected the update. It probably saved a ton of angry posts from new buyers having trouble!

So, what does all of this mean? Well, good and bad news. Bad news is we had to work almost all night, and re-submit. Which means we are back in the waiting game. What's the good news???? :?: We would be remiss if we did not mention the fact that we rolled our current 1.4 work into the submission as well! So now you're getting two updates for the price of one (which was nothing, but hey, it's exciting anyway)!

Here is the update list as submitted in iTunes Connect:
PLEASE READ BEFORE UPDATING :)
Any game in progress and your old Hall of Fame info will be removed to make way for the amazing changes listed below. We apologize for the inconvenience :)

Due to a previously rejected binary we've stepped up the delivery of new features... This is a combo update containing version 1.3 and 1.4 changes!

Version 1.3 contains many new features!
* Hall of Fame: The new and improved HOF now stores detailed data on your games played including number of moves made in the game, number of kills, and amount of gold collected! Compare against your friends... version 1.4 will allow score uploading to internet leaderboads!
* Hallway Path-Finding: Now when playing fast-mode, double tap will cause your character to run and follow all twists and turns in a hallway until reaching an intersection or the next room!
* D-Pad Control: Option to play using classic touch mode, or a new D-Pad at the bottom of the screen! The new D-Pad can be used like the "touch" control, including double taps for fast-mode run and hallway following, or you can keep your thumb/finger down and slide it around. Default is classic touch, go to settings app to enable D-Pad control if desired.
* 8 new secret characters!
* New weapon: Battle Axe
* New potion: Potion of Blessing
* New ring: Ring of Kings
* New Staff/Wand: Staff of Chaos
* Increased challenge when ascending with the Amulet of Yendor :)
* Tweaks: Turned off auto-correction on name entry, added "X" in center to denote touch point for cancelling throw/shoot/zap, adjusted power of secret characters and equipment a bit
* Bug-Fixes: a handful of small bugs reported were fixed (Hulk aggravation, asleep and frozen at the same time, quitting and starting a new game after retrieving the Amulet, weapon stacking and losing enchantments)
* Version number on title screen and change log in info!

Version 1.4 contains the following:
* Online Leaderboards- Your local Hall of Fame data is sent to our server to compete with others around the world for top rank in a number of categories! No personal information is transmitted, just character names and statistics. If you do not have a network connection when completing a game it will automatically submit new scores at a later date, whenever you view your Hall of Fame! Visit http://www.ChronoSoft.com to view the leaderboards.
* 2 more secret characters!
* New armor: Spartan Cuirass
* New Staff/Wand: Invisibility
* Tweaks: Fast-play defaults to ON now, much more playable that way. Scaling for secret characters based on their capabilities, makes fights more interesting :)
* Bug-Fixes: another handful of small bugs reported were fixed (Nymphs stealing the amulet, vorpalized weapon crashing the inventory screen, fix for game sometimes ignoring settings and defaults)

This is probably our biggest update by a wide margin now! So much stuff packed in there... 10 official new secret characters (and a smattering of private ones, we can talk about what those mean sometime soon), 6 new items, Hallway Pathfinding, the D-Pad, new Hall of Fame and Online Leaderboards! Plus small gameplay tweaks and bugfixes as brought up by all of you here.

Not sure if iTunes will show this as 1.3 or 1.4 when it's approved- Officially for us, it's 1.4, and the title screen will show that. Apple's system is a bit bonkers though, and still has this new submission tagged as 1.3. Either way, all of this good stuff will be coming your way as soon as they are done with it!

We will provide links to the real leaderboards once this update goes live (there is also a web-link embedded in the "info" button inside the 1.4 update to get you there whenever you want)!

Finally- I'd like to take a moment here to say something about the Online Leaderboards- If you all recall, we were not sure how to proceed and build such a thing... because our server-fu was weak! :lol:

Help Arrived:

Fellow rogue player John K, who is the developer of Binary Game for the iPhone stepped in and gave us a lot of assistance toward our goal *for free*. The leaderboards are possible because of his gracious help, and now our PHP-FU is strong! I'd like to ask a favor of everyone who wants to kill a bit of time waiting for our next update- please go and pick up a copy of Binary Game and give him a bit of love and support, he deserves it! Visit John's website for game details and his leaderboard. I've played it quite a bit, but I'm no match for the speed demons in his leaderboards... are you? :mrgreen:

I'll try to be available all day to answer questions :)

*discuss*
CommanderData
Site Admin

Re: Version 1.3 --- Submitted to Apple

Post by CommanderData »

plaidman wrote:I'm gonna cry.

Well, I can't tell you not to cry, but read the new announcement at the top of the forum first! That will explain a lot :shock: :D
Zakia

Re: Version 1.3 --- What the $@^&*! is going on --- and more

Post by Zakia »

This is awesome, and it's pretty epic that you caught a huge bug before it came out. "It dosn't work" comments flood loads of games and it turns me off.

And HUGE YAY for the 1.4 stuff. May I ask if you included the 1.31 bug fixes?

With such big changes, you might just call it 2.0 8-)

EDIT: If possible, can the old 1.3 thread be deleted for outdated info?
There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as death. All living matter ages over time and eventually dies... No matter how mighty or tiny its life force... So being alive means you're creeping closer to death with every second...
~Miguel
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

Zakia wrote:This is awesome, and it's pretty epic that you caught a huge bug before it came out. "It dosn't work" comments flood loads of games and it turns me off.

And HUGE YAY for the 1.4 stuff. May I ask if you included the 1.31 bug fixes?

With such big changes, you might just call it 2.0 8-)

EDIT: If possible, can the old 1.3 thread be deleted for outdated info?
Yes, I know, it would have been a disaster for a lot of new customers! You guys would have all been fine since you'd probably be overwriting an existing copy of the game :lol: All known fixes and new features that we had ready (including the 1.31 stuff) made it into this re-submission. I think you're right, maybe I'll move or delete the old 1.3 thread. I'd like to preserve some of the comments, so maybe it'll get stuffed into the available thread for now :)

I think whenever we get shops and the advanced mode stuff done that will be the leap to 2.0!
Ihateants

Post by Ihateants »

I'm looking forward to this :)
Bigdave

Post by Bigdave »

CommanderData wrote:
Zakia wrote:This is awesome, and it's pretty epic that you caught a huge bug before it came out. "It dosn't work" comments flood loads of games and it turns me off.

I think whenever we get shops and the advanced mode stuff done that will be the leap to 2.0!
Version 2.0 with shops and advanced mode - sign me up now. :lol:
Only problem with upgrading now is that I finally made it there and back with the amulet after 30 or 40 attempts without using a special char, I resorted to Thor and managed to finish the game.
Guess I'll just take a snapshot of the highscore table before upgrading...
plaidman

Post by plaidman »

Thanks for 1.4, CD. You treat us so well.
Detzlink

Post by Detzlink »

Wow, this was completely unexpected! 2x1 update! Woot!
Online leaderboards wow guys Please say thanks to John K. From me.
Keep up the good work!
jhawk

Post by jhawk »

sdnvfvijfpqoeijpoi

i really want to play now, but i just cant bring myself to erase my beyond jacked neo, who is bugged at this point, and need the update to be released so it will do the dirty work for me......

how are online leader boards going to work as far as differenciating between players with the same names and keep the secret/hidden names unknown....some sort of sign in?