Most Annoying Monster

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
David St. Hubins

Most Annoying Monster

Post by David St. Hubins »

I curious which monster people find most annoying. By annoying I mean they don't kill you but they screw you up. I'm stuck between the rattlesnake and the aquator. I know that the Troll and Griffin are deadly, but I don't mind getting killed, that just meant the character wasn't up to snuff, but losing strenghth and armor is just annoying.

I'm thinking the Rattlesnake is more annoying, because you get them earlier. But there are many more restore strength potions than protect armor, so they are counter acted easier, but I always get stung. As for Aquators, I've just resigned my self to having AC of 9 once I get down to level 11 or so.

I guess the slimes are a little annoying and so are the vampires and wraiths. As has been noted, you can use wraiths to your advantage if you just leveled up.
Nighthawk

Re: Most Annoying Monster

Post by Nighthawk »

1. Slimes.... still way too much dividing.
2. Rattlesnakes
3. Hmmmm.... Have to think about this one. For now I'll go with the rest of the alphabet?
NightOwl40

Post by NightOwl40 »

My most annoying monsters:

Rattlesnakes-loss of strength is a pain, especially if you are having a game where you can't find a single frakking restore strength or gain strength potion.

Slimes-can fill up a room on you by dividing, block your path and take forever to clear out.....if you survive the fighting.

Vampires-suck away your maximum health deep in the dungeon where you most need to have high health to survive fighting griffons, dragons, jabberwocks, etc.

Aquators-can't harm you directly, but the way they trash your armor is a pain in the backside, and ultimately deadly if you're stuck in cursed armor and/or can't find anything else to wear.

Nymphs/leprechauns-because the rob you of items and gold, unless you get lucky enough to kill them.
The Real Buddy

Post by The Real Buddy »

I am not a fan of the rattlesnake, I don't mind the aquatir because I tend to have spare armor, and nothing is more annoying than seeing what your strength -should- be at, and what it is at.
Jim2wheels

Post by Jim2wheels »

Vampires every day of the week - nothing worse than being on level 40+ with your hp down to two digits!

EDIT: As experienced on my last run!
Attachments
I died shortly after...
I died shortly after...
IMG_0002.png (32 KiB) Viewed 29950 times
Last edited by Jim2wheels on Thu May 14, 2009 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bulgroth

Post by Bulgroth »

I personally enjoy fighting aquators naked. I see one coming, I remove the armour, and fight it naked therefore saving my armour from getting trashed. I usually have ac 4 or so by floor 14/15. Failing that, I keep a spare set of trash-able armour on-hand for getting trashed by aquators while I'm on their floors. The strength however, is a constant issue for me. I've been as low as 3 strength before, and fighting a troll with 3 strength? Good luck! I'll see your corpse on the way down the next time, buddy! Still have yet to get past floor 19 though... *restarts another game on her iPod*
jhawk

Post by jhawk »

i actually prefer playing rogue touch with clothes on, and dont like to fight anthing naked, but thats just me :?
aggrome

Post by aggrome »

Hmm...I think it's a tie between Rattlesnakes and Aquators. I guess Rattlesnakes have the slight "advantage."

Rattlesnakes: Almost every time I fight these things, unless I kill it in one or two hits...I always lose strength. And it just seems like I encounter a lot of them so my strength is usually below max...sometimes well below. And besides this effect, rattlers are not a challenging foe so I hate to use one of my "get out of jail" items when fighting them. Sometimes I really don't get any (or just 1) restore strength potions. The worst is when I do drink a restore strength potion and then end up getting "rattlesnaked" immediately after. Well, actually the worst is when I'm going through unidentified potions and I get a strength increase when I'm well below max. So if I'm at 10 out of 16, I end up with 11 and it just feels like such a waste. Usually the next one I try is the restore strength potion haha.

Aquators: Obvious reasons. I totally get the spare set of armor technique. But sometimes I really don't find much armor at all. I can go leather but then I am putting myself at risk with other monsters. I always forget to swap armors out when I hit the Aquator levels...that's my bad. And I have trouble deciding when to switch back to my "good" armor. Honorable Mentions:

Vampires: The max HP loss is just rough. Nymphs: I usually end up losing an item and I always forget to rearrange my items so they will grab a useless one. I hate losing items...especially good ones. I sometimes have a rough time with the whole Medusa effect too. But having all these monsters with negative effects really makes the game fun...it would be dull if all the monsters were basically the same except for damage and hp.

I really don't mind slimes at all. Usually I can take them into a hall and fight them one at a time. And they're one of the few monsters that is slower than you so you can actually gain spaces on them, which makes them a lot less challenging. Of course, once in a while they totally surround me and slime me to death. But I actually like them because sometimes I let them split just to get a bunch of xp (if I'm confident I can mow them down).
jhawk

Post by jhawk »

medusas are hands down number one, one bad confusion and your dead
until about level 40, then vamps steal that title, one run i was down about 20-25 percent of my total health

aquators are fairly short lived and a mere inconvience, i usually dont risk my good armor until its protected

rattlesnakes do suck, but maybe its me but i probably find restore pots almost as much as ID scrolls

death aside ice monsters irk me hard, when your frozen in spot for 15-20 turns whether you are getting hit by others mobs at the same time is just icing, not having any control and just sitting there waiting until you can do absolutely anything waiting for the houglass to disapear is evil
yogibayer

Post by yogibayer »

The one no one mentioned are phantoms. Nothing like running from a bunch of monsters only to be cornered because an invisible monster is between you and the doorway you were seeking. Now there are 4 monsters swinging at you in one round.