Superweapon Guide - Blessed, Freezing, Flaming, and Shocking

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
twalkabout

Superweapon Guide - Blessed, Freezing, Flaming, and Shocking

Post by twalkabout »

I have not found any comprehensive info on the superweapons, so thought I would post what I know, and then ask what I don't and update this when I get all the info.

I hadn't even found a single one of these until recently, and then in a stroke of insane luck had a game where I found one of each weapon in the first 10-15 floors! (see pic)

So this is what I think I know. Blessed is a special superweapon (with a now not so secret ability) and works different than the others, so I'll address that separately.

FLAMING WEAPONS
- Gives you an extra square of vision in all directions
- Chance to "engulf your enemy in flames" like a wand of fire causing 6d6 (?) damage to your foes [so it will cause somewhere between 6 to 36 of damage based on the 'dice' roll (rolling six 6-sided dies, think yahtzee).
- FYI Dragons are immune to fire

SHOCKING WEAPONS
- Chance to "bring a bolt of lightning down on your enemy" like a wand of lightning causing 6d6 damage

FREEZING WEAPONS
- Chance to either slow the enemy for a ?d? amount of time [during which time you will move twice for every one of their moves] or to "encase your enemy in a block of ice" (like a wand of cold) causing 6d6 damage AND freezing them for one? turn, giving you a free hit.
- Ice monsters, Yetis, and Dragons are immune to the freezing

CHANCE OF SPECIAL ABILITY TO WORK
The percentage chance for the special ability to work (engulfing in flames, etc) is the +chance to hit x 10%. CD explained this in another thread, but basically if you have a +3+2 flaming long sword, the first number (+3) is your chance to hit (easy to remember which number is which because you have to hit first, then do damage second). So 3x10% is 30%, so roughly 1/3 times it will work. If you get your chance to hit to +10 it will always use the special ability when it hits.

BLESSED WEAPONS
- Gives you an extra square of vision in all directions
- Does extra damage against undead creatures (wraiths, zombies, vampires, and phantoms)
- Secret ability! - acts like an unlimited wand of cancellation and will cancel any special ability that a monster has once you successfully hit the monster once. e.g. leprechauns and nymphs can no longer steal stuff, phantoms are no longer invisible, medusas cannot confuse, etc. The awesomeness of this cannot be understated (especially with vampires on the lower levels). [thanks to Elysium for telling me this]. This effect is 100% successful if you hit the creature.

QUESTIONS ON FLAMING/FREEZING/SHOCKING WEAPONS
- I assume the special ability does 6d6 damage like wands?
- Is the damage done by the special ability, e.g. engulfing in flames, in addition to the damage the weapon does, or does it supplant it?
- What is the chance that a freezing weapon slows vs. freezes?
- How long does a freezing weapon slow for (my experience with these are limited, I lost my below katana by throwing it at my skeleton and it didn't drop)
- If you freeze the enemy, does it always freeze them for one turn?

QUESTIONS ABOUT BLESSED WEAPONS
- How much extra damage against undeads does it do? I'm guessing +4 like a vorpalized weapon?
- I believe this extra damage against undead is 100% chance if you hit?
- Does the percentage chance to hit at all work like the other superweapons?

SO WHICH IS THE BEST WEAPON?
- Hard to answer, certainly shocking is probably the worst because it only has the one ability. Freezing is the best for full on combat with tough monsters. But as an all around weapon, flaming and blessed are the way to go because of their extra square of vision. For deep runs, I'd go with a blessed weapon, because the vamps will otherwise take you out, and the flame is usuless against dragons anywhere, which are the toughest deep level monster.

Well that's all I've got, I'll update this post as I get more info.
Attachments
photo.jpg
photo.jpg (49.58 KiB) Viewed 20612 times
Last edited by twalkabout on Fri May 01, 2009 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jhawk

Re: Superweapon Guide - Blessed, Freezing, Flaming, and Shocking

Post by jhawk »

I was just looking for a spot to post my questions on this subject

Nice timing!

Doesn't think make freezing and blessed, maybe fire a significant advantage over lightning?

Is there meant to be an imbalance?
Berenzen

Post by Berenzen »

blessed weapons don't work against skellies, tried with gareth. It does not give off that blinding white flash like hitting a wraith does.
Proof I'm unlucky- 1313th post
twalkabout

Post by twalkabout »

thanks updated the post. probably blessed weapons should work against the skeleton though? oh man speaking of which i just realized i am gonna run into my skeleton on level 9 the next time i play this game i don't think there's any way i will be able to beat it without a wand of polymorph or cornucopia. will a potion of blessing at least work against the skeleton?
jhawk

Post by jhawk »

paralize, slow, or confuse seem to make for an easy KO as long as your not one-shotted
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

twalkabout wrote:i don't think there's any way i will be able to beat it without a wand of polymorph or cornucopia.
If you polymorph your skeleton (or turn it into food) you won't get the items it has when you kill it right? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of fighting your skeleton at all? I suggest, if you have something to freeze it with, that you freeze it at the end of a long hallway or room, back way up, and start throwing things.
jhawk

Post by jhawk »

soo that one time I found a flaming bow and freezing arrows, I probably shouldn't have tossed them
If I had a +10 that would be a 100% double proc with freezing and +1 LR?

Head ---> Wall
NightOwl40

Post by NightOwl40 »

jhawk wrote:soo that one time I found a flaming bow and freezing arrows, I probably shouldn't have tossed them
If I had a +10 that would be a 100% double proc with freezing and +1 LR?

Head ---> Wall
Dang...I bet that would've neat to watch if both effects happened at once ;)

I got a freezing crossbow one time playing as "Jared". Only weapon I found, never did find any bolts for it but using it as a bludgeon still triggered the special effects of slow or freeze.
nohbdy

Post by nohbdy »

twalkabout wrote: SO WHICH IS THE BEST WEAPON?
- Hard to answer, certainly shocking is probably the worst because it only has the one ability. Freezing is the best for full on combat with tough monsters and also works against dragons so that is a bonus. But as an all around weapon, flaming and blessed are the way to go because of their extra square of vision. For deep runs, I'd go with a blessed weapon, because the vamps will otherwise take you out, and the flame is usuless against dragons anywhere, which are the toughest deep level monster.
freezing on the weapon at least does NOT work on DRAGONS (also yeti and ice monsters but those guys are only early levels anyways).

I have not tested shocking, but its advantage may be that no one is immune to it?
twalkabout

Post by twalkabout »

nohbdy wrote:
freezing on the weapon at least does NOT work on DRAGONS (also yeti and ice monsters but those guys are only early levels anyways).

I have not tested shocking, but its advantage may be that no one is immune to it?[/quote]

I updated it, thanks. Are dragons, yetis, and ice monsters immune to both the freezing and slowing? I should probably play a game with a secret character with a freezing weapon before I started this thread... I am pretty sure lightning will hit anything if I remember from my runs with Athena. (can anybody confirm?).