Searching with extra light

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Jim2wheels

Searching with extra light

Post by Jim2wheels »

It has occurred to me that when searching with the additional square of light that you get from blessed or flaming weapons does this also mean your search area gains the additional squares? Which would mean you can search every 5 squares along instead of 3?

The reason i am asking is the way the Rogue Vade-Mecum describes searching which is as follows:

Searching
Each time you search you have one chance in five of finding a secret door if one lies within your field of vision, and one chance in two of finding a trap. When you wear a ring of searching, your searches become more effective but not certain. If you are looking for an outlet from a room, the most efficient pattern of searching is to search at every third pace:

-----------------
|.@..@..@..@..@.|
|...............|

When you are blind, searching is a waste of time.

Probability of Missing a Secret Door.

Number of Probability
Searches of Missing
------------------------
1 .800
2 .640
3 .512
4 .410
5 .328
6 .262
7 .210
8 .168
9 .134
10 .107
12 .069
15 .035
Nighthawk

Re: Searching with extra light

Post by Nighthawk »

Jim2wheels wrote:It has occurred to me that when searching with the additional square of light that you get from blessed or flaming weapons does this also mean your search area gains the additional squares? Which would mean you can search every 5 squares along instead of 3?
No, no extra search bonus gained for light, just the extra visibility.
swhatley

Post by swhatley »

I would make sense that if you could see better then you should be able to search better. Possible new feature/enhancement request?

Enjoy life!
Steven
Jim2wheels

Post by Jim2wheels »

Nighthawk wrote:
Jim2wheels wrote:It has occurred to me that when searching with the additional square of light that you get from blessed or flaming weapons does this also mean your search area gains the additional squares? Which would mean you can search every 5 squares along instead of 3?
No, no extra search bonus gained for light, just the extra visibility.
Bummer....
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

I know it would seem to make sense, but the light radius was a hack that I came up with, not part of the overall game structure. So in the end you only search those 8 squares immediately around you whether you can see 1 square, 2 sqaures, or the entire room. :D