Shumby

Re: How is this possible?

Post by Shumby »

Waaaaaait ... hold the telefono....

rings consume food? :shock:
jhawk

Post by jhawk »

im not sure the exact amount, maybe cd could enlighten us with the exact amount, but they can be quite the advantage so the do consume more
Mister Fluff

Post by Mister Fluff »

elswitzer wrote:I guess you have no clue how to play this game...

Oh, and amen to your amen.
:)
Shumby

Post by Shumby »

jhawk wrote:im not sure the exact amount, maybe cd could enlighten us with the exact amount, but they can be quite the advantage so the do consume more
CD, any input? Rings eat cheeseburgers?
Jim2wheels

Post by Jim2wheels »

Shumby wrote:
jhawk wrote:im not sure the exact amount, maybe cd could enlighten us with the exact amount, but they can be quite the advantage so the do consume more
CD, any input? Rings eat cheeseburgers?
Try googling rogue vede mecum, it's based on the original game, although some of the item/monster names have changed its still of good use. CD has stated before that the data on there is good.

Hope that helps.
Shumby

Post by Shumby »

nice jim2wheels! great site!

So, from the Rogue Vade-Mecum I got this table. I can't figure out what it really means though. Can anyone interpret? I assumed the ring of regen would eat burgers fastest but the increment is smaller.

Code: Select all

Wearing almost any ring will make you get hungry faster. You can compute your rate of digestion by adding the appropriate increments from the table to 1.0. 

Distribution and Metabolic Effect of Rings (V4)

Name               | %(V3) %(V4) Effect
        -------------------+-------------------                 
        Add strength       |   9     9    +1.00 
        Adornment          |   1     1     ----
        Aggravate monsters |  11    10     ----
        Dexterity          |   8     8     +.33  
        Increase damage    |   8     8     +.33  
        Maintain armor     |  --     5    +1.00 
        Protection         |   9     9    +1.00 
        Regeneration       |   4     4    +2.00 
        Searching          |  10    10     +.33  
        See invisible      |  10    10     +.25  
        Slow digestion     |   9     9     -.50 
        Stealth            |   7     7    +1.00 
        Sustain strength   |   5     5    +1.00 
        Teleportation      |   9     5     ----

A ring's increment or decrement does not affect its effect on your digestion. 
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

The important part seems to be the numbers under "Effect." It's either a percentage increase, or an increment in how many steps each step you take "counts for" food wise. So having a ring of regeneration at +2 is either 200% more food usage, or each step counts as 3 steps (for purposes of food consumption) which may actually be the same thing.

Either way, it's pretty clear which rings make you use more food.
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Read it like this: Every turn you naturally use 1 "food". Then add/subtract the effects of any rings you are wearing. That will tell you how much "food" you use per step. Steps are any action that would allow an enemy to take a turn, including putting on/removing armor/rings/weapons, etc.

This is the reason why wearing two rings of slow digestion is so powerful; your "food" used per step drops to 0!

The increment part just means that a +10 ring of increase strength uses the same amount of "food" as a +1 (or -1 for that matter). It's not a multiplier.

The distribution column just tells you what percentage of rings are that type. Obviously these numbers aren't exactly the same in Rogue Touch, considering the addition of rings not on that list.
Jim2wheels

Post by Jim2wheels »

Nighthawk wrote:Read it like this: Every turn you naturally use 1 "food". Then add/subtract the effects of any rings you are wearing. That will tell you how much "food" you use per step. Steps are any action that would allow an enemy to take a turn, including putting on/removing armor/rings/weapons, etc.

This is the reason why wearing two rings of slow digestion is so powerful; your "food" used per step drops to 0!

The increment part just means that a +10 ring of increase strength uses the same amount of "food" as a +1 (or -1 for that matter). It's not a multiplier.

The distribution column just tells you what percentage of rings are that type. Obviously these numbers aren't exactly the same in Rogue Touch, considering the addition of rings not on that list.
Absolutely right, All though i am pretty sure the distribution ratios have changed slights in Rogue Touch, for example the Identity scrolls have been increased in the latest update, thats what it feels like to me anyway :)

And for the record some people are probably unaware, but food that tastes yuck has only half the effect as good tasting food. For example if we say good food gives you 2000 steps, bad food only gives you 1000. No doubt mushrooms have similar properties.
NightOwl40

Post by NightOwl40 »

Ohhhhhh.......that explains why my rogue gets hungry so soon :roll: I get the yuck message more often than the tastes great one......

I wonder how good mushrooms rate compared to the ones that make you hallucinate ;)