Post by swhatley »

Nighthawk wrote:
swhatley wrote:New special RT character:

Patsfan11113
HP 5, Str. 5
-2,-2 Dagger
-3 Leather Armor
Ring of teleportation (on right hand)
Ring of aggrevate monstor (on left hand)
Ability: Can't pick up objects.

Enjoy life!
Steven
Looks like Steven has stumbled upon the next contest. This character, deepest dive, gold tiebreaker.
Oh, how so cruel of me! I totally forgot about food! The Geneva Convention would be all over us for that. We would have to allow Red Cross workers into the dungeon. So, we need to at least be civil about this.

Patsfan11113
HP 5, Str. 5
-2,-2 Dagger (in hand)
-3 Leather Armor (being worn)
Some food
Ring of teleportation (on right hand)
Ring of aggravate monster (on left hand)
Ability: Can only pick up food.

Enjoy life!
Steven
NightOwl40

Re: Ridiculous, vindictive review department

Post by NightOwl40 »

:twisted: :lol: :lol: :twisted: That's just downright cruel......and absolutely perfect revenge :mrgreen:
Lydyra

Post by Lydyra »

I'd like to meet that Patsfan in a dark dungeon....

I find the graphics clean, charming, and attractive. When I'm even noticing them, that is--I am usually so engrossed in the PLAY that I'd be perfectly happy with stick figures or something.

People who whine about spending 3 bucks for a good gaming experience just irritate the hell out of me.

Nightowl40, it's nice to "meet" another female old fossil gamer! :)
I will never put my sword down
I will never run away
--Manilla Road, "The Veils Of Negative Existence"
NightOwl40

Post by NightOwl40 »

Lydyra wrote:I'd like to meet that Patsfan in a dark dungeon....

I find the graphics clean, charming, and attractive. When I'm even noticing them, that is--I am usually so engrossed in the PLAY that I'd be perfectly happy with stick figures or something.

People who whine about spending 3 bucks for a good gaming experience just irritate the hell out of me.

Nightowl40, it's nice to "meet" another female old fossil gamer! :)
:D Nice to "meet" you, too :geek:

My mother and younger siblings have given me hell about gaming for decades.......usually along the lines of "When are you going to grow up and quit playing those(insert favorite expletives) games???" Probably when they pry whatever gaming device I was playing with out of my cold, dead hands..... :lol: ;)

Those youngsters who complain about the graphics have never bothered to learn their gaming history.......of course, they don't realize that without that history, what they do enjoy would never have come into being :roll: I remember what games used to cost (and are still expansive for some platforms).......gamers these days don't appreciate how good they've got it *sigh* Damn....... I sound like my grandparents and parents now :P
Lydyra

Post by Lydyra »

You should inform your mom and sibs that numerous studies have shown that playing games keeps your mind young!

Which may explain why I sometimes think like a 10-year old. :lol:
I will never put my sword down
I will never run away
--Manilla Road, "The Veils Of Negative Existence"
NightOwl40

Post by NightOwl40 »

Lydyra wrote:You should inform your mom and sibs that numerous studies have shown that playing games keeps your mind young!

Which may explain why I sometimes think like a 10-year old. :lol:
:lol: They've seen articles about those studies............instant snarkfest, especially since they are uptight about how you should always be doing something "usefull", not "wasting time" on exercising your mind. Might explain why my blood pressure is still lower than any of theirs ;)

My chiropracter has a sign in his office that says "We do not stop working and playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop working and playing" As far as I'm concerned, words to live by, just like "Any day above ground(instead of 6 feet under it) is a good day" :lol:

*goes back to roaming around in the virtual underground in search of a frakking amulet*
preuve

Post by preuve »

Patsfan11113 is quite a piece of work... That said, they are a customer. Annoying, vindictive and obnoxious but in the end still a customer.

I suppose in this age of reload when you die games (repeat ad nauseam), Rogue Touch is unique in it's unforgiveness. As crazy as it seems, how about adding a load/save function mid game? There was some talk in the past about an 'Easy' mode. This could be added in as an option. Naturally if you can do load/save scumming, then you can't qualify for the online leaderboards.

As for the price, in the end if you're not financially successful, then Rogue Touch will eventually disappear. From what you mentioned, at 0.99 you sold 5 times more than you are now at 2.99? If 0.99 pays back your time to continue developing Rogue Touch and brings more people to buy it, then I'd have a hard time telling you not to permanently sell Rogue Touch at 0.99.

Your proactiveness and love for the game is obviously beyond the call of duty. All the best from me!

Edit: If you're selling 5x more at 1/3 the cost, other reasons aside, seems like a financial no-brainer. Yes, you could make a lite version but that in itself has a somewhat unknown ROI.
Last edited by preuve on Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swhatley

Saving games

Post by swhatley »

No one bothered to mention this, but in this game if you die its GAME OVER

No save and load, simply you go through the entire stupid game, die, and that's the end of the game
I do have to admit with RT on the iPhone, I miss being able to do a 'cp -p rogue.sav ~/rogue-bak.sav' if I wanted to save a game that was going real good. That's knda hard to do on the iPhone. :( ;)

Or is there a way to pull out the data for RT from a iPhone backup on the Mac side and then do a selective app restore? Hmmm, :?: :?: :?:

Enjoy life!
Steven
Knight85

Post by Knight85 »

I would definitely agree with earlier posters who suggested making a "Lite" version with say 8 levels. The best way to sell a game that is more than 0.99 is to let people try it and get hooked for free. I think that might be the biggest thing you could do to increase sales.
nohbdy

Post by nohbdy »

preuve wrote: As crazy as it seems, how about adding a load/save function mid game? There was some talk in the past about an 'Easy' mode. This could be added in as an option. Naturally if you can do load/save scumming, then you can't qualify for the online leaderboards.
I kinda agree with this...I know how "saving" and "loading" goes against all rogue is...for more casual players who do not care about the leaderboard, dying constantly so early ruins the game. I know that there were a number of times where I would make a stupid mistake that would cost me the game and would probably have given up on this if I was not so tenacious (I know thats what made me soon stop playing the free rogue).

Maybe in the settings you can have an option saying "training mode:on/off" where when its on it loads at the last autosave when you die, but nothing is put into the hall of fame.

In all honesty though...a lot of these people who complain about no loading will likely start complaining that they keep dying despite the loading, but it will still satisfy more people.

Another possible improvement is in-game you have a section with a listing of secret characters from previous updates. Relatively few people look at these forums and have trouble with the normal characters. By putting a list of at least a few secret characters in the game, and maybe a message that they can look in the forums for more, they will be able to start with much better characters and as a result be a lot less frustrated. I would not necessarily put characters like Neo on the list, but ones like Athena, Drizzt, Thor, and Zaphod B. are probably good ones (ie ones whose main advantages result from starting with better gear, not necessarily overpowering bonus powers).