Ridiculous, vindictive review department

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
jhawk

Re: Ridiculous, vindictive review department

Post by jhawk »

I think the term masshole is almost nationaly known, or maybe just like the tri state area, lol

But yes I do reside in mass
NightOwl40

Post by NightOwl40 »

CommanderData wrote:
jhawk wrote:I guess that means your gonna update soon :D

Damn massholes
HA HA! jhawk, thanks for the laugh! :lol: You must be from around my area too, since you've heard the term. I do have an update in progress, but not ready to submit yet. If I am lucky maybe this weekend it'll be done. Friday's the day I get to head back home for a week...

Xanmyral, glad that you were able to look past the ugly exterior and find the meat of the game. Not only that, but really enjoy it too (based on the stories I am reading from you)! Thanks for helping to make me feel a bit better today. :D

NightOwl40, thanks for your concern too, I'd agree that a lot of people have never played good old games... Take this "Giant Metal Robot" thing that just appeared in the store. Now, I haven't played it myself but watched the video and I give them great props for making a cool old-school type of game. But oh the horrible things people have to say about it, at least those who don't see the retro charm like I do. Sure it doesn't have a lot of depth, but we would've peed our pants in excitement waiting in line to play stuff like that a long time ago... :oops:

I can imagine they must think we grew up in the dark ages. WHAT??? You had to start over, FROM THE BEGINNING? Yes, son, every time we died. And games cost a quarter to play, not 7 "tokens". We played them til our eyes fell out. :ugeek:

I was a teenager when Pong, Asteroids, Space Invaders, Galaxian, and Missle Command were introduced into the arcades..............yep, I'm an old fossil :lol: Played a lot of the "classics" when they first came out and those old games still have a place in my heart ;) :geek: Old-school :geek: and proud of it :mrgreen:
NightOwl40

Post by NightOwl40 »

swhatley wrote:New special RT character:

Patsfan11113
HP 5, Str. 5
-2,-2 Dagger
-3 Leather Armor
Ring of teleportation (on right hand)
Ring of aggrevate monstor (on left hand)
Ability: Can't pick up objects.

Enjoy life!
Steven
:twisted: *laughing maniacally* :twisted:
NightOwl40

Post by NightOwl40 »

jhawk wrote:I think the term masshole is almost nationaly known, or maybe just like the tri state area, lol

But yes I do reside in mass
I've never heard that phrase before, but then again, I live in Illinois :mrgreen:
jhawk

Post by jhawk »

Tri state is just an incredibly cheesy refference to ma/ct/ri

Massholes live in Taxachusett's
Hopz

Re: Those one star reviews

Post by Hopz »

First off, I love your avatar! I have a little female african grey, her name is kiki. My wife named her before we got married, so I call her baby bird. =)

Those 1 star ratings are pretty dumb. Maybe this just wasnt their type of game. If you dont at least give a game a true shot, and accually lear how to play, then you have no right to review it.

As for the food, there are a few things I do know. Ive been playing since the version 1.2 i think it was. Back then, I died a lot from lack of food. I think it was said in one of the updates that they did try to increase the food a little bit. But the game is random, so you can still get lots or little food. Anything is possible. Another thing is that rings also play a factor in food. If your wearing 2 rings you will need to consume food more often. If your wearing zero rings then you wont have to eat as often. Think of it like all rings have a small vampiric effect. Another thing, which I think makes the biggest difference in food consumed is how many times you've played the game. When I first started out, I would run in many circles trying to figure out how to continue on. All those extra steps make you consume more food, and potentially starve to death. But as i played more, i learned what the maps are going to more than likely look like (since they are still random after all). I seem to have also gotten a knack for finding secret doors. Almost like i can feel where they are now so I dont run in circles lookng for secret doors. That makes I big difference.

As for Athena, I doubt she consumes less food than anyone else. It has been said before, I think by CD, that none of the secret characters consume more or less food. But that was before this update. And she is a god, so I almost wouldnt be surprised if she didnt need as much food. But i doubt it. I think your just getting better at the game.
Hopz

Post by Hopz »

This guy is pathetic. But CD, your right. Ithas to do with the sale. Honestly, people will download almost anything for a dollar. In a way, that was your mistake. But also, might be a blessing. When everyone downloads something for a dollar, then you are going to get many, many people that just dont like or understand this type of game. Many of them are going to be younger stupid kids. But when you price something for 2.99, sure you will get less sales, but you will sell to mostly people that would be interested in this type of game. You will be selling to people like me, that did research on the game before hand. Honestly, the graphics are what brought me to this game. I downloaded this game, The Quest, and Dungeon & Hero on the same day. Yea I got greedy and was bored. And mad at my wife =). But this is the only one of the 3 ive put more than an hour into. Not that those are bad games, but that this one is so awsome id just rather play it. I think the only game I put more time into than this one is Vay. And its getting close. I wouldnt feel bad about these negative posts. It is bound to happen after a sale like that.

OK, Maybe I can help a little with marketing. Maybe not. But I got some ideas. One, dont ever do a 99 cent sale again. Its just not worth the heart ache. Too many random people will spend a dollar for anything, and it will lower your ratings everytime. What I would have done is give it a discount sale, of maybe 1.99. What that is going to do for you is still speal to people that want a cheap game, but it's also goingto apeal more to people that are really interested in playing a game of this type. Even if you only made half the sales, you would still be getting the same amount of money. But hopefully, since you are attracting slightly more serious buyers at that price that you wont get as many negative reviews from impulse shoppers. And thats whats really important. A game like this will sell better with higher ratings.

Another thing that might help is a better icon graphic. I mean lets face it, people like graphics. But the game itself should not be improved because of the reasons you already stated. I was at the doctors for 7 hours last week waiting for my wife to pick me up, and I was almost able to play this game the entire time because of how you made changes to improve battery life. Made me happy! But a more intensive, exciting game icon graphic might attract more people. Some people are all about the graphics. At least give them a little eye candy.

Another thing is to advertise what you did to improve battery life. I dont know if it is on your game description now, havent looked in a while, but I think its worth mentioning. Something along the lines of, you can have minutes or hours of game play, and your battery wont suffer because... Might help, I would have made me buy the game faster than I did. And if you dont have this website on the game description, then it should be there.

I hope some of that helps a little. I love this game, and appreciate the work you put into it. I dont want to see the updates slow down or go away. I will try to think of some more ideas to help with marketing.
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

CommanderData wrote:PS- any marketing gurus know how to fix a problem like this? Besides a permanent 99 cent sale? ;) I'd imagine it's the old-school graphics that turn off most people shopping. Some feedback I've seen in other forums points to that. I'm open to ideas, as always... Have to run to work, but I will check back in later.
1) Change your price to $1.99 (I'd pay (and did) more, but many won't)
2) Create a lite version for free that lets you play 8 levels. At the end of the 8 levels, invite the player to purchase the game, and include a secret character name on the screen when they finish the 8 levels (as a reward and additional enticement). Allowing players who have never played this type of game before to slowly get used to the difficultly may help.
2a) If it's possible to pull off the programming, allow the player to "import" their demo game character and continue the quest!
3) In an era where gamers are used to cakewalk difficultly, most (like the flametard your quoted) don't understand the difficultly. In your sales text on iTunes, add a small amount of verbage warning players of the challenge (and the lack of save and load, etc.). You'll find that some players will take your challenge (because they get off on that kind of thing).

Just my 2c.

[Edit: 'cause I suck @ spelling]
Last edited by Nighthawk on Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

swhatley wrote:New special RT character:

Patsfan11113
HP 5, Str. 5
-2,-2 Dagger
-3 Leather Armor
Ring of teleportation (on right hand)
Ring of aggrevate monstor (on left hand)
Ability: Can't pick up objects.

Enjoy life!
Steven
Looks like Steven has stumbled upon the next contest. This character, deepest dive, gold tiebreaker.
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

Nighthawk wrote:
CommanderData wrote:PS- any marketing gurus know how to fix a problem like this? Besides a permanent 99 cent sale? ;) I'd imagine it's the old-school graphics that turn off most people shopping. Some feedback I've seen in other forums points to that. I'm open to ideas, as always... Have to run to work, but I will check back in later.
1) Change your price to $1.99 (I'd pay (and did) more, but many won't)
2) Create a lite version for free that lets you play 8 levels. At the end of the 8 levels, invite the player to purchase the game, and include a secret character name on the screen when they finish the 8 levels (as a reward and additional enticement). Allowing players who have never played this type of game before to slowly get used to the difficultly may help.
2a) If it's possible to pull off the programming, allow the player to "import" their demo game character and continue the quest!
3) In an era where gamers are used to cakewalk difficultly, most (like the flametard your quoted) don't understand the difficultly. In your sales text on iTunes, add a small amount of verbage warning players of the challenge (and the lack of save and load, etc.). You'll find that some players will take your challenge (because they get off on that kind of thing).

Just my 2c.

[Edit: 'cause I suck @ spelling]
Nighthawk, thanks for the analysis :)

1) That's a possibility. But since I was just on sale, I think that will wait for a while. I do agree that price is king in the app store.
2) A lite version is definitely possible, I have discussed this with a few other developers and it sounds like this could do some good. Probably more than a price change if it was done properly
2A) I'm not prepared to talk about it yet, but I have come up with an interesting method of "bringing stuff" into the game, initially spurred by these awful delays in approval. I'll give you more details soon, but it could be used to bring in a trial character (one of several ideas I have)
3) I agree the iTunes description lacks several things. Perhaps I need to start a thread about it here, and see if we can come up with an easy to read, appealing description of rogue that covers all the bases including warning/issuing a challenge :D

I like the idea of patsfan11113 as a new contest... I'll plan on sticking him in the next update and we'll see how everyone does! That one will be worth some money to complete :lol: