attention CD

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
jhawk

attention CD

Post by jhawk »

I am posting this instead of pming in case anyone else has this question or possible problem

I just had a very very nice Athena run and I am standing on the stairs to "win"
I have 3000 gold, the lowest HOF I have is 4000+ gold

Does this mean if I win and don't make my HOF my athena will not get uploaded to the leaderboard

*like when I tried setting the record with a 1 turn death*

I don't care about erasing my HOF prior to ascending but I didn't see that as an option anywhere
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Re: attention CD

Post by CommanderData »

jhawk wrote:I am posting this instead of pming in case anyone else has this question or possible problem

I just had a very very nice Athena run and I am standing on the stairs to "win"
I have 3000 gold, the lowest HOF I have is 4000+ gold

Does this mean if I win and don't make my HOF my athena will not get uploaded to the leaderboard

*like when I tried setting the record with a 1 turn death*

I don't care about erasing my HOF prior to ascending but I didn't see that as an option anywhere

OHHHHHH! You sir, may have just discovered a flaw in the way I do high score handling (at least for the contest) :D

For those of you who don't recall, we had the discussion when he was trying to commit suicide in 1-3 turns to appear on the Worst Rogues list. Problem is this. The local Hall of Fame game scores get added based on the amount of gold you have. If all of your character's previous runs i the hall of fame have more gold than this contest character it will not get put in the local HoF... If it does not get written there, it is not transmitted to our server! Doh!

This definitely underscores the need for a way to wipe the score list clean in the game. Right now the only option you have to is delete and re-install it, which of course removes any save game available...

Ok, so here's two options:
1) I could program it so any score you get is transmitted immediately upon your death or victory. BUT, if you are not on a network at the time it is going to be lost if it Does not fit in the local Hall of Fame.
2) Make the Hall of Fame clearable based on some sort of shake or swipe gesture. If this were available right now, Jhawk could exit the game by pressing home, open it, clear his HoF, then resume the game and climb the stairs to victory!!!

So, please everyone give me your thoughts on this. And before anyone else makes a try at the top of the CD's Angels list- if you have a ton of super character scores in your list consider re-installing the game to wipe your scores. I have a feeling a lot of you would not be affected by this unless you've been playing the crazy runs that Jhawk loves to!

I apologize if this little unforseen gotcha prevents someone from reaching the top 5, and I'll try to make it up to you somehow :mrgreen:

Sorry jhawk, I'll make the option people decide a priority for version 1.6 :(
jhawk

Post by jhawk »

Ugh....my best run ever, had my ac down to 0 and a rather beefy flaming war hammer found on level 5, damn leprechauns

I seem to have amazing luck for finding the worst bugs
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

CommanderData wrote:Ok, so here's two options:
1) I could program it so any score you get is transmitted immediately upon your death or victory. BUT, if you are not on a network at the time it is going to be lost if it Does not fit in the local Hall of Fame.
2) Make the Hall of Fame clearable based on some sort of shake or swipe gesture. If this were available right now, Jhawk could exit the game by pressing home, open it, clear his HoF, then resume the game and climb the stairs to victory!!!
Vote for the second option. The first option would alienate your iPod Touch users.
jhawk

Post by jhawk »

i have an iphone, ipods can fend for themselves :twisted:
NightOwl40

Post by NightOwl40 »

I vote for the second option as it would apply equally to both iPhone and iTouch........that first option would tilt the leaderboards unfairly toward iPhone players.......sorry, jhawk :P *razzberry* :P
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

Yeah, I think option 2 is probably better all around. It affects me as well, I've had a few great games on flights, and would hate to think they would not be submitted due to lack of a network connection! :D
preuve

Post by preuve »

I'd like to cast a vote for a variant of option 1. I'm not sure how difficult it would be but I'd vote for a buffered upload to the Hall of Fame.

If a network connection isn't available, then place the entry into a (finite) queue to be sent next time a network connection is found.

I'd also vote for some cumulative statistics to be kept locally and synchronized periodically. Statistics such as how many games played, average turns, average gold per game. If you start a New game whilst an existing one is available, it should be considered a suicide (like Moria) and still counted towards cumulative totals.
Jim2wheels

Post by Jim2wheels »

preuve wrote:I'd like to cast a vote for a variant of option 1. I'm not sure how difficult it would be but I'd vote for a buffered upload to the Hall of Fame.

If a network connection isn't available, then place the entry into a (finite) queue to be sent next time a network connection is found.

I'd also vote for some cumulative statistics to be kept locally and synchronized periodically. Statistics such as how many games played, average turns, average gold per game. If you start a New game whilst an existing one is available, it should be considered a suicide (like Moria) and still counted towards cumulative totals.
I second all of the above.
elswitzer

Post by elswitzer »

Option 2.