attention CD

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Wordman

Re: attention CD

Post by Wordman »

Why not just stash results that "roll off" the local Hall of Fame internally on a "yet to be transmitted" list and then erase them once they have been transmitted? This would all just happen behind the scenes.

For that matter, why not just store all the results? How many bytes could it take to store a final result? 64? 128? If you played one game every minute, without sleep, for 8 years, at 128 bytes a game, that would only barely crack a half a gig of storage. I submit that, in 8 years, whatever model of iPhone is around then will be able to handle this.
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

Wordman wrote:Why not just stash results that "roll off" the local Hall of Fame internally on a "yet to be transmitted" list and then erase them once they have been transmitted? This would all just happen behind the scenes.

For that matter, why not just store all the results? How many bytes could it take to store a final result? 64? 128? If you played one game every minute, without sleep, for 8 years, at 128 bytes a game, that would only barely crack a half a gig of storage. I submit that, in 8 years, whatever model of iPhone is around then will be able to handle this.

Well, we are storing a fair amount of info, not the entire details of your pack or anything crazy like that but I'd estimate a max of about 500 bytes per game. So yeah, you could play a large number of games and store them before worrying about space.

The problem could come in later- if you played a few hundred games away from a network and then tried to transmit them all... I am not sure how long that would take, as each game is an individual transaction against our database, with its own http submit and response! I'll consider the options carefully though... :ugeek:
jhawk

Post by jhawk »

how about make submissions optional
definately increase hof to 50-100