Rogue Touch Strategies

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
kutabeach

Re: Rogue Touch Strategies

Post by kutabeach »

Recently had my best run - Hero status and down to level 20.

Killed by two Griffins in a hallway - one on each side. I was trying to run away from one when the other penned me in. Bastiges!

Equipment: nothing too major, Elfin mail, +3 +3 shocking spear. I don;t think my AC was low enough to withstand a few of the big bad guys on the lower levels. I didn't have many useful items otherwise - no paralysis wands/potions, no teleport rings/scrolls, so I knew my chances of getting much further were slim.

Without paralysis items, what other strategies can one use against the griffins/medusas/ur-viles and other nasty beasts? (I have not even seen a dragon yet!)
bindlewirdle

Post by bindlewirdle »

LordGek wrote:... Griffins are almost considered the game's number one a-holes! ...
Yeah, they're bad but my pet hates are Wraiths whose ability to rip XPs seems to increase the closer I get to the next level. I got pretty close to Time Waster as Neo when I got whacked three times!!
bindlewirdle

Post by bindlewirdle »

kutabeach wrote:Without paralysis items, what other strategies can one use against the griffins/medusas/ur-viles and other nasty beasts? (I have not even seen a dragon yet!)
Play as Thor and enjoy the fun as you crush those nasty beasts. I play as Thor every so often just to remind myself that they are beatable.
oldroguer

Post by oldroguer »

First, I gotta say, I love this implemenation! I've been playing Rogue/Hack/NetHack/Moria/Angband for decades on different platforms and this implementation is one of the best.

Here are a couple of strategies (really tactics, but who's counting) that I have found useful in other rogue-likes and they appear to apply in RT as well:

1. If you're attacking a monster but missing a lot, back up one step if you can, and hit 'em again. I find this works almost every time I seem to have a hard time landing a blow.

2. Fight monsters when *they're* inside a doorway. Doesn't always work, but in my experience there's something constraining to monsters about having to fight inside a small doorway as opposed to corridors or rooms.

3. In RT, the other day I got to Floor 8 where there be aquators and I only had one armor. So I took it off and was actually able to fight un-armored all the way through 14. I had to quickly strap on for one troll on 14, but otherwise I was able to take out centaurs, rattlers, and other beasties with my standard mace that I had scrolled up to +3,+2. Not a strategy I would prefer, but give it a try if you're in the same pinch. They key thing was, walk slowly so that they didn't get the first punch in.

4. It looks like you cannot starve to death in RT. I was on 19 with no food left and no way to get more. Fainting every few moves, finding scraps few and far between. However, I was able to get down to 21 before finally fainting during a troll encounter and dying. Morale of the story, never give up. I might have found a cornucopia wand that would have given me new life to fight on.

5. Best RT weapon so far....Freezing +3,+3 Shurikens! Found these on 6 and I got all the way to 15 without getting strength weakened by rattlers. Hit 'em with one of these babies to slow them down, back up a few steps, and range them to death. If you can range a nasty with these, even better.

6. Poorest strategic play so far....getting to 20 with 9 un-ID'd rings and no ID scrolls, and being too chicken to try them on when I got into trouble. I had good HP, strength, weapon, and lots of food, but mediorcre armor. Well, so who needs a ring anyway, right? Wound up getting punked by a Gfiffon that I might have beaten if I'd had another point or two of AC or damage from one of those rings. Ugh!

Hope this helps. I'll add more as I think of it.
kutabeach

Post by kutabeach »

bindlewirdle wrote:
kutabeach wrote:Without paralysis items, what other strategies can one use against the griffins/medusas/ur-viles and other nasty beasts? (I have not even seen a dragon yet!)
Play as Thor and enjoy the fun as you crush those nasty beasts. I play as Thor every so often just to remind myself that they are beatable.
I'm trying to have my first win as a non-specialized player.

After that, I'll give anything a shot.
ssarwate

Post by ssarwate »

Is there any good strategy for dealing with the skeleton warrior? They're really quite tough, and while I could simply avoid them entirely, the loot is usually pretty good.

I've never made it past Level 22, and while I've had a number of monsters kill me (2 medusas, 1 Ur-vile, and a griffin), it's almost always because they get me after the skeleton warrior has beaten me up.
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

ssarwate wrote:Is there any good strategy for dealing with the skeleton warrior? They're really quite tough, and while I could simply avoid them entirely, the loot is usually pretty good.

I've never made it past Level 22, and while I've had a number of monsters kill me (2 medusas, 1 Ur-vile, and a griffin), it's almost always because they get me after the skeleton warrior has beaten me up.
Unless there's something in your previous pack that you really really want to try and get back (and even then it's luck of the draw), my advice would be the obvious: avoid it.
oldroguer

Post by oldroguer »

Just completed my first game as a normal player (haven't tried the secrets yet). I've come close three times before but some baddie (or starvation) got me. Feels good!
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

oldroguer wrote:Just completed my first game as a normal player (haven't tried the secrets yet). I've come close three times before but some baddie (or starvation) got me. Feels good!
Congrats!
GriffinBait

Post by GriffinBait »

I was flinging daggers at a nymph when I fat-fingered my inventory list and threw a food ration. The nymph ate it and fell asleep. Anybody ever try this with a more dangerous monster?