Rogue Touch Strategies

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
LazySumo

Rogue Touch Strategies

Post by LazySumo »

Here's some of the slightly more advanced strategies that I have been using. Hopefully this will help people and if you have anything to add, please respond letting me know and I'll update this original post.

Exploration:
  • Explore everything, kill everything. Exploration gives you more items to play with. Yes, some can be bad for you, but the more 'things' you have generally the better off you are. And unless you absolutely know that a particular critter outguns you, stand and kill it if possible. Critters = XP and XP = win.
  • The rooms are laid out in a 3x3 grid on the map. Use this to your advantage to try to get into every room on a map before descending to the next level. See above strategy for why you should do this.
  • The amount of time your character has ingame is harshly limited by how much food they have. So try to avoid backtracking or doubling over your steps as much as possible.
  • Don't immediately head down every set of stairs you come to. Each floor represents a certain amount of xp/loot that you may possibly harvest. If you have the food reserves, then do try to clear a floor before heading downward.
Searching:
  • Each wall will have, at most, 1 door in it.
  • Use the map's 3x3 grid form to determine where likely walls are to search. If you are standing in the room in the UPPER LEFT corner, don't bother searching the top or leftmost walls.
  • Tolerance for repeatedly searching an area should first and foremost be driven by your current food reserves. Don't waste time if you have 1 food left, move on.
  • Don't waste time searching until you are rank 2 or maybe 3.
  • Sometimes a hallway just ends. Live with it.
  • Don't bother eating until you feel faint. Being hungry has no negative effect and you may as well save your food as much as possible.
Treasure:
  • Hoard all treasure, potions, scrolls, everything until you reach about floor 8 or 9.
  • Once you have a good collection of items you can clear out a level and find a quiet spot near the exit to start going through the items and learning what they do. Preferably do this right after levelling, that way if you have a potion of raise level you get more use out of it.
  • Read all scrolls first, if you find an ID scroll(s) use that on armor, weapons or rings.
  • Then drink all potions. Even if you waste something good you will know what it is in the future.
  • If you are left with un-ID'ed gear you can go through it to try to determine what it does.
    *The above strategy was summed up well by Van Damage: When I arrive at level 8, I've had 7 levels to obtain better weapons or armor. I put on my best armor and wield my primary weapon, then read all scrolls, hoping to get armor protection and/or weapon/armor enhancements. If I don't find armor protection at that point, I read all scrolls I encounter as soon as I find them.
  • Polymorph wands are more useful the lower you are. If you are facing a bat you don't want to run the risk of changing him into a vampire, however vice-versa is just fine.
  • Two rings of slow digestion will pretty much make you immune to hunger. However, you are giving up on any benefits from any other rings.
Combat:
  • Always fight in hallways where you can only be hit by 1 critter at a time.
  • "Held" creatures stay so until you hit them. Stand right next to one and rest to heal up. Don't worry, he'll wait.
  • Know the bestiary, know which are the really dangerous creatures and which aren't. Wraiths, rattlesnakes, and aquators can all dramatically effect your stats and nymphs can steal items from you. Griffons and dragons just hurt.
  • Ranged combat is your friend. USE IT.
  • You can 'throw' many weapons out of your inventory with out un-equipping your main melee weapon. Keep three or four spears, axes or hammers and unload those on a ranged target. Once combat is over you can usually recover all of them. And all of that happens while you are still ready for melee if the target can close.
  • Thrown weapons will drop again once you kill the critter you threw them at.
  • Leprechauns and nymphs may disappear if they close to melee, they will take thrown weapons with them when they do.
  • Any potion can be thrown at a monster to trigger it's effect on the critter. Poisons, confusion pots, etc will all have their effect.
  • Paralysis and confusion potions are excellent get-away devices.
Weapons:
  • Throwing many un-ID'ed weapons may ID them if they hit the target.
  • Know the damage tables and which weapons do what. Keep the URL handy for reference if needed.
  • Build up a selection of enchant weapon scrolls and use them to build as good of a weapon as you can.
  • Vorpalizing a weapon will give it several more points in the general 'to hit' and 'damage' categories, but it will also give that weapon a single 'Zap' to be used against a random species of critter. The 'Zap' is a sure kill, so use it wisely. An additional ID scroll or throwing the weapon at a low-level critter will reveal the species it has been vorpalized against.
Armor:
  • Know the difference between 'enchant armor' and 'protect armor'. Enchant gives a blue glow, improves the armors AC by 1 and removes curses. Protection gives a golden glow, plus 1 AC, removes curses and provides rust protection.
  • Know the armor lists and which do what. Elfin and leather do not rust, shozuku is stealthy and spartan cuirass gives you an extra strike.
  • Armor will always ID itself when you equip it, you do run the risk of putting on cursed items though.
  • A 'Maintain armor' ring and elven chain are redundant, lose the ring.
Last edited by LazySumo on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:28 pm, edited 10 times in total.
LazySumo

Re: Rogue Touch Strategies

Post by LazySumo »

Beastiary Strategies:
  • Aquator - Use armor protection (gold flash!) to prevent them from destroying your armor.
  • Bat - Seriously erratic flight.
  • Centaur
  • Dragon - Fire breath makes even ranged difficult. Rod of cancellation can stop that.
  • Emu
  • Flytrap (Venus) - Will root you until you kill it. This only becomes an issue if there are other critters near by.
  • Griffin - Hasted and regenerate health. If you have the room, range them until they get to melee then root, run away and range again.
  • Hobgoblin
  • Ice Monster - Can freeze you, normally harmless because by the time you run into them they can't hit hard enough to be an issue. However, freezing effect can stack up to 20 times.
  • Jabberwock
  • Kestral
  • Leprechaun - Kill via ranged, if you close to melee they will steal a couple hundred gold then disappear.
  • Medusa - Can confuse on hit, use ranged.
  • Nymph - Will steal last item in your pack, arrange pack so last item is not critical
  • Orc - Can pick up gold from the floor, will drop that on death.
  • Phantom - Invis unless you are wearing a ring of see invisible. Move into a hallway then strike behind you.
  • Quagga
  • Rattlesnake - Can drain strength, rings of strength protection will stop this. If you have fought several and your strength is more than 1 below normal then a single Restore Strength potion will heal all the way back up.
  • Slime - Fight in hallway so fewer can spawn, never in the open, unless you want the XP. Don't fight with you standing in the corner of a hallway, they can spawn behind you and trap you.
  • Troll - Tons of HP and regeneration. What's not to love?
  • Ur-Vile
  • Vampire - Can drain max HP, fight ranged.
  • Wraith - Can drain levels/xp, fight ranged.
  • Xeroc - Can pose as any item, even the amulet or stairs. Watch for items not showing up on the minimap like they should, that item may be a Xeroc.
  • Yeti
  • Zombie
Last edited by LazySumo on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:14 pm, edited 7 times in total.
NightOwl40

Post by NightOwl40 »

Don't throw unidentified weapons at nymphs or leprechauns.....when they vanish, so will that weapon.
gregban

Post by gregban »

When attacking a nymph, make sure the last item in your inventory is something you can live without, in case your attack fails the nymph will steal the last item in your inventory.

You can sometimes selectively drop and re-pickup things is order to arrange your items to do this.
LazySumo

Post by LazySumo »

Greg and Night, you gave me an idea for a beastiary strategy section! Thanks!! Adding now...
shadowspawn

Post by shadowspawn »

The vampire permanently lowers your maximum hit points, rather than draining experience. (not every time it hits, just some of the time)
Berenzen

Post by Berenzen »

Medusas can confuse you for a long period of time and I believe it's trolls regenerate health
Proof I'm unlucky- 1313th post
LazySumo

Post by LazySumo »

Added
NightOwl40

Post by NightOwl40 »

Griffons are hasted, plus they regenerate health
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

This is great stuff everyone! I guess maybe I can just construct a permanent strategy page out of all of your collected wisdom when we're done here! Something we can host on the main site, and probably in-game too :ugeek: