Tip #1: How to Properly Use a Scare Monster Scroll

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
twalkabout

Tip #1: How to Properly Use a Scare Monster Scroll

Post by twalkabout »

i am considering working on a strategy guide, but don't want to give too much away (spoilers), and i know that CD is working on something. so in the meantime, i thought i might post a tip or two on topics/strategies that i think are impossible to figure out on your own.

for the first tip, i thought i would expound on the scare monster scroll. it took me forever to figure out how to use one of these puppies, and turns out it's the most powerful scroll in the game. i know the info is in this forum (that's where i found it), but i thought i would bring it to the spotlight because it saved my arse the one time i actually beat the game.

things you need to know about a scare monster scroll:
1) it does NOT self identify. so when you first read one you will "hear maniacal laughter in the distance". therefore it is CRUCIAL that when you are reading scrolls for the first time you REMEMBER the name of the scroll (at least the first word). because of the way the text scrolling works, by the time you see the maniacal message, the name of the scroll will be gone. as soon as you see that message, make a note somewhere (unless your memory is perfect) about which scroll that was so you will know if you are lucky enough to to pick up another one.

**edit** the other awesome scroll that does not self identify is a Hold Monster Scroll. Plus it doesn't say anything when you read one, so this above tip is also key for remembering which scroll is a Hold Monster Scroll. If you read an unidentified scroll and get no message, then make sure to remember that one. I think the other scroll that does not self identify is a scroll of blank paper, but that one is obviously not terribly important. Basically, I keep a note (in the iPhone's note application with these two lines:
Scare Scroll -
Hold Monster -
and each time I play a new game and read one of these two scrolls, I'll write down the first letters in that scroll, e.g. 'giv' or whatever it happens to be.

2) reading it does NOTHING (except make monsters laugh at you). way to go, you are now the embarrassment of the dungeon.

3) the proper way to use it is to drop the scroll, and therefore you will be standing on it.

4) monsters then will be too scared of the scroll to attack you, but will not run away. therefore you can pick them off at your leisure.

5) do NOT throw the scroll, or move off of the scroll until you are done with it (e.g. killed all the monsters in the area). because once you move off of it, it's done. it will turn to dust once you try to pick it back up. goodbye the most awesome scroll you've ever used.

6) you CANNOT drop the scroll in a doorway. i once attempted this with 3HP left, only to realize you cannot drop items in doorways, and whatever beast was next to me promptly finished me off. come to think of it, this is probably not a problem in 1.5 since i think CD fixed the 'making an illegal move makes you lose your turn'. but important to know you cannot use one in a doorway, since a lot of us spend a decent amount of time fighting from a doorway

so what are some good uses of this scroll?

a) the 'oh sh*t' moment when you need a miracle. however a scroll of teleport, wand/potion of paralysis or a wand of polymorph or cornucopia are better choices if there's only one or two monsters, rather than wasting this scroll.

b) high level treasure rooms. i found a treasure room on level 30 that would have kicked my arse without one of these scrolls. i led all the monsters out (because there was no way i was getting past the doorway), dropped the scroll, and it was open season on them. (see pic)

c) after you've dropped the scroll, consider using a monster aggravate scroll to attract the rest of the monsters on that level to you, so you can take full advantage of the the scroll

well, there's my opus on the best scroll in the game. post your pics and suggestions on how you guys use it.

edit 1: added info on Hold Monster Scroll
Attachments
photo.jpg
photo.jpg (59.3 KiB) Viewed 15870 times
Last edited by twalkabout on Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jim2wheels

Re: Tip #1: How to Properly Use a Scare Monster Scroll

Post by Jim2wheels »

That my friend is one awesome (and much needed) tip. I had read how to use them but could never understand why they didnt self identify. Using the aggravate monster scroll whilst sitting on the scare monster scroll is GENIUS!

This also makes me believe that all "negative" scrolls have uses, its just figuring out what those uses are.

This game just gets more and more awesome with each additional crumb of knowledge.

Good job Twalkabout :D
twalkabout

Post by twalkabout »

i'm glad that helps. it took me forever to figure it out and i wasted tons of them. used two successfully on my win, and they were awesome.

i'm not sure though about all negative scrolls having uses. although i suppose you could consider reading a scroll of sleep while standing next to a dragon a quick and merciful way to die...
Jim2wheels

Post by Jim2wheels »

Maybe if you drop it/throw it when being chased it puts the zzzzzzs on them?
twalkabout

Post by twalkabout »

Jim2wheels wrote:Maybe if you drop it/throw it when being chased it puts the zzzzzzs on them?
in a weird merging of threads, CD just addressed this over at the toucharcade RT 1.5 thread
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthrea ... 26&page=25
Scrolls of sleep are really of no use. Unless you need a nap!
also - i asked this in a different thread but have no answer yet - to all you html geniuses out there - how do you make a link in this forum? i can't figure it out
Jim2wheels

Post by Jim2wheels »

Sorry cant help you on the link thing.

Just a quick question, i only recently won my first game. So how do you go deeper without the amulet and then come back up? Do the stairs allow you to descend and ascend after level 26? Would appreciate your help on this as im currently on level 23 and looking pretty good :)
twalkabout

Post by twalkabout »

Jim2wheels wrote:Sorry cant help you on the link thing.

Just a quick question, i only recently won my first game. So how do you go deeper without the amulet and then come back up? Do the stairs allow you to descend and ascend after level 26? Would appreciate your help on this as im currently on level 23 and looking pretty good :)
i asked CD that exact question at Touch Arcade when he posted his epic win
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthrea ... post175056

i'll copy his response. he also talks about it at this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=81
CommanderData wrote: Yeah, Thank You! I was pretty proud of that victory. Tough to do, I don't think I'm up for that again soon... it's very stressful since I didn't have a flame weapon to light extra squares around me!

If you want to go deeper than floor 26, just avoid the Amulet or drop it again if you picked it up. You can find it somewhere on each level after that (although sometimes the crafty monster may pick it up!) That makes things tough too.

Monsters do get tougher when descending. Dragons were terrible for me, and thick like mosquitos at a summer barbeque! All monsters do the same amount of damage, but have a better chance to hit, and have increased armor, making them harder to hit back, and the icing on the cake is they have more hit points...

Items are still plentiful as long as you keep descending! Once you start back up I hope you saved enough food or a ring or two of slow digestion to be safe. On the way up, you'll occasionally find food (maybe once every three or four floors) and even more rarely find an item, but usually it's one that a monster had in it's pack if you find something!

Hope you take up the challenge! Looking forward to seeing more people try that crazy stunt...
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

twalkabout wrote: also - i asked this in a different thread but have no answer yet - to all you html geniuses out there - how do you make a link in this forum? i can't figure it out
Great tip there twalkabout! I love your picture too, great way to illustrate how you can stand toe-to-toe with many enemies using the scare monster scroll!

On your linking: there is a "URL" button at the top of the text entry box. You can use it like this:

Code: Select all

[url=http://BestRogues.ChronoSoft.com/]Rogue Touch Leaderboards[/url]
The result of that would look like this in your post:
Rogue Touch Leaderboards

Hope that helps you out, keep up the good work with these "rogue tips"! :D
Xanmyral

Post by Xanmyral »

Awesome tip! But now my mind is telling me that there might be a secret way to use supposed cursed items... :| Great, so now my pack will be even more stuffed with not only random junk, but cursed items trying to find a use for them. :ugeek:
Jim2wheels

Post by Jim2wheels »

Thanks Twalkabout,

As it happens i have the amulet on level 26 and i also have 2 rings of searching :D so i have decided to keep going down until i bite the dust in a hope of climbing the wealthiest rogue leaderboard, which seems to be the only one that does not refresh every 7/30 days.

Wish me luck....