I need some advice.

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Xanmyral

I need some advice.

Post by Xanmyral »

When I posted my Arkenett story, I wanted to play out Xanmyral. Now, I have played several, but figured that playing a new one would be best, and I also am documenting most of the things that I did/am doing. I have a long list, and never really got this far on any character before, but I'm on floor 24, have 3 rations, wearing banded mail +2, a +2+3 mace, a +2 ring of protection, and a +5 ring of increase damage. I have various staffs, but the only notable one is my staff of teleport away with 13 charges, and my staff of striking, with 5 charges. What should I do? Just dive straight for the amulet, or just keep on doing my scour each level and then move onwards? I am having some slight trouble with killing the monsters, and had at least five close calls that I just barely managed to survive... Anyone have any advice? Oh, my strength is 20, and my max health is 135, Dragonlord. I guess you can call me new, just signed onto the forum today, and got the game about a couple of days ago.
Jim2wheels

Re: I need some advice.

Post by Jim2wheels »

If you have never got the amulet to the surface before, i would suggest doing that :) You can go for a deeper plunge another time :)
shadowspawn

Post by shadowspawn »

I would go for the amulet. I always struggle at the levels below 20 unless I have a super duper character, and the save-me-once items (like wands) get used up fast just staying alive looking for the stairs.
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

I'd agree with the advice here... Grab the Amulet as quick as you can and start heading up. The food won't last too long, and you're probably not going to be powerful enough to go toe-to-toe against the monsters lurking in the mid-20s dungeon floors for very long either.

There's some small hope of finding food on the way back up, but it might be a struggle to make it all the way... hope you managed to make it! :D
Xanmyral

Post by Xanmyral »

Thanks for the advice... Well, here goes nothing. I'll continue to update my log up till my death, or my salvation. Most likely death though, was surprised that I even made it past floor 15 to be honest.
Jim2wheels

Post by Jim2wheels »

I have to say the staff of teleport away means you have a good chance of surviving, if your health gets below 40hp - let em have it!
Xanmyral

Post by Xanmyral »

Well, I died, but have one hell of an epic tragedy! Kill many, loved none, and had more close calls then a fly in a flyswatter factory. Might be a day or so before I get it up however... I have to copy it from paper to computer, can't do it right now because of high school, which I am currently in at the time of this post, but anyway it was a fun run! Learned somethings, killed somethings, and almost got out.
Zakia

Post by Zakia »

If food is a problem, don't wear rings. As awesome as some are, they consume a TON of food! Use them only in emergencies! Otherwise, use the 'Fat Bastard' secret charachter.

Speed is pretty essential like most say. Explore the greater portion of a level with as minimal backtracking as possible. Don't waste time walking across the entire floor just to expore one room.

If you still need help with speed, try my secret character, it's designed specifically for speedrunning.
There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as death. All living matter ages over time and eventually dies... No matter how mighty or tiny its life force... So being alive means you're creeping closer to death with every second...
~Miguel
LazySumo

Post by LazySumo »

Rings do what now?
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

LazySumo wrote:Rings do what now?
When you eat in the game, it fills your "virtual belly"... let's say for sake of argument that one food will let you carry on for 1,000 moves (it's actually different, but that is good enough for our sample). Every step you take, or action you perform with an item, or attack, etc will use 1 point of your stomach's storage. If you're wearing a ring it will use a bit more than 1 unit per turn. Right now, wearing a ring of regeneration is the worst offender because you use 2 units of food for every turn you take, meaning you'd be faint in only 500 turns!! :D