Feature Requests for Rogue Touch - Part TWO!

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Re: Feature Requests for Rogue Touch - Part TWO!

Post by CommanderData »

Blip wrote:I did a search for "name", "list", "call", and "rename" and didn't get any hits, so please forgive me if it's been suggested somewhere in this thread already...

In the original game of Rogue 25 years ago, or whatever it was, it was possible to name/ID items yourself. (I think it was by pressing "c" to "call" an item something?) For example, if I found a ring, and put it on, and it became apparent that it was a ring of searching, I could "call" it "ring of searching", even though I may be incorrect about it. instead of having to develop the keyboard integration to be able to name things anything you want to, maybe an easier way would be to use the scrolling list. ie: From the items screen, have a selection for "call item", then it brings up the scroll wheel for which of your items you want to "call", which then brings up a scroll wheel of pre-defined names that you can "call" something, such as "of light" or "of searching". It would be important to display that an item is "called" that, instead of displaying it as "ring of searching", it should display as "ring called 'of searching' ". It also makes dealing with potions of amnesia much better, if you happen to remember what any of your items were.

Another feature missing from the original game, is (I believe it was "L", for "list") to list the items you'd discovered in the game. So one you get to level 16, and can't remember whether or not you'd found a potion of restore strength yet, you could look at your list and see whether or not you had.

Cheers! :)
I actually had a partially working "Call" system active early in development. The problem was it was too clunky with the popup keyboard, and the extra information I had to store with object "guesses" slowed down my save and resume time even more. So I ditched it all and re-wrote the identification rules in a way to help make it easier to determine most items without the guesses (Things like hitting a monster with a weapon to identify it's capabilities for example). A pick list for item guessing is a neat idea, but then I have to shoehorn in the guess data and associated code again, which won't be pretty :( I will take a close look at this one though, it could be useful to a lot of people.

As you noticed, without a full hardware keyboard a lot of choices had to be made as to what was *really* important to the core game of Rogue. :ugeek:

Somehow I plan on getting a couple more decent updates out to everyone who's been patiently waiting. Announcements will be coming (hopefully soon)! :D
xbleh

Post by xbleh »

Feature Request: Put a light demarcation around the entire map area -- IE the maximum space taken up by the dungeon. I find myself searching the far corners when I shouldn't be -- a basic line around the outside of the map space lets me know the limits of the dungeon.
jhawk

Post by jhawk »

on that note id like to see a different color outline for rooms, unexplored area should have the color as is and walls should be something else, sometimes i forget which rooms ive fully explored and have to backtrack
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

It'd be nice if, when you have a full pack, and you walk over something like a potion, or a scroll that you might want to use right away, you could simply use it without putting it in your pack first. So you have a full pack and you walk over a scroll of enchant weapon. You have to move off the scroll, drop something, pick up the scroll, read it, repick up whatever you dropped, and repeat for every new item you find. It's very tedious. It would be cool if, when you walked over the scroll, there was a "pick up and use" button. The disadvantage to implementing this (game balance wise) would be that it eliminates turns, thus making the game ever so slightly easier, but situations where those extra turns actually matter seem to be fairly rare.
psychosomatic

Post by psychosomatic »

Please please please do a classic (ascii) mode via options....step back I know however the brown 'R' still would scare the tripe out of me. Damnable rust monsters.

Would be very appreciated, this app has become my fave time killer on train to work, same purpose nethack served in my youth.

Thanks.
Rhialto

Post by Rhialto »

The Touch belongs to my gf. I added Rogue Touch to her Touch today and started a game. It would be nice if she could also play while I'm not using her Touch. If she enter the game she will play my char and I don't want that so yet, it's forbidden to play for her. :twisted:

Will it be possible later to create more than one char and load the one we want to play?

Thanks
Dexex

Post by Dexex »

Hi. I'm an old Rogue player, but new to the Touch version. Sorry if this has been suggested before. I've always wanted to see a resurrection option. One of the downsides of the game for me, and maybe only for me, is spending game after game on the upper levels and seldom surviving long enough to see the lower level critters. I've never gotten past level 24, and didn't know there was an amulet until I started reading this board.

Maybe if you reach a target level (let's say 19) you could have the option of being resurrected at level 9 carrying nothing but a weapon and some food, or dying and starting over. Resurrection would cost you all your gold, and all the goodies you've saved up. But you'd retain 75% of your HP.
Zakia

Post by Zakia »

Dexex wrote:Hi. I'm an old Rogue player, but new to the Touch version. Sorry if this has been suggested before. I've always wanted to see a resurrection option. One of the downsides of the game for me, and maybe only for me, is spending game after game on the upper levels and seldom surviving long enough to see the lower level critters. I've never gotten past level 24, and didn't know there was an amulet until I started reading this board.

Maybe if you reach a target level (let's say 19) you could have the option of being resurrected at level 9 carrying nothing but a weapon and some food, or dying and starting over. Resurrection would cost you all your gold, and all the goodies you've saved up. But you'd retain 75% of your HP.
Perhaps a ultra rare Amulet of Lifesaving? Disqualification from the leaderboard but you get to finish.
There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as death. All living matter ages over time and eventually dies... No matter how mighty or tiny its life force... So being alive means you're creeping closer to death with every second...
~Miguel
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

Ressurrection is an interesting option that I am toying with for an update! The trick will be what it does to you in exchange for that second chance... Taking away a gold "tribute to the gods" is one good way to deal with it as it makes your end score/rank in the leaderboards lower if you use ressurrection. Maybe it would also add 10,000 moves to your step counter automatically so you would not rank highly in quick retrieval competitions.

Those penalties would be sufficient for most, and I would probably let you restart on the floor you died on. Probably :lol:
iCarbon

Post by iCarbon »

Hi,

I played the original game ages ago, and have been playing RougeTouch for about 6 months, semi-obsessively (sadly, I've only won once with a non-special name -- its darn hard!)

anyway, I'm still waiting for the next upgrade and was curious about a possible estimate?

Also, as for upgrades:

the map should center on your location, so that you can't tell what corner of the map you are in when you first land on a floor (would make it harder, but more interesting).

It would be nice to see deviation from the standard 9X9 grid of rooms/dead-ends. Perhaps alternating with 4X4 or even 5X5? Seems like the hardware could easily handle the larger spaces.

It would also be nice to be able to reenter the dungeon once you leave it, upon winning.

Multiple simultaneous games would be awesome -- then I could compete with people.

Speaking of which, internet connectivity -- have a group of friends work together to explore the same maze, or even fight each other!

More higher level monsters for the return with the Amulet -- it kinda sucks that levels still get easier on the way back up.

More higher-level treasures on the way up, or even at lower floors -- it would be nice if you could continue to progress in power and ability as you travel down with new and fancier treasures.

Fighting other adventurers as "monsters" might be an interesting twist.

Scrolls of light to illuminate every room on a level.

More clarity about the qualities of different armor (I'm still not sure which armor slows digestion or increases dexterity most -- but I have realized a difference).

a cloak of illusions that tricks monsters into thinking you are one space over from where you are (but replaces your armor, giving you an armor class of 10).

Scrolls that permanently make your weapon on fire or freezing or blessed.

Some mechanism to gain nightvision (spell, potion) even if its really rare.

hamsters, monkeys, chimeras, ghouls, lich's, gholems, giant leeches, cobras, wolves, etc. could be added (lots more monsters makes for lots more fun).

Ice monsters are worth too many experience points, they make almost every other enemy a waste of time on early levels.

hope those are enough suyggestions... sorry if I repeated anyone elses earlier suggestions, I didn't have time to read the rest of the list.