Feature Requests for Rogue Touch - Part TWO!

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Jim2wheels

Re: Feature Requests for Rogue Touch - Part TWO!

Post by Jim2wheels »

DaveS wrote:I wold like to see a couple of balance issues addressed, although perhaps these have been put in there on purpose.

First, it seems like there are way too many pit traps appearing in the lower levels. I can live with a few scattered around, but seriously it seems like every level from 10 or 11 down has at least one which might be a bit excessive. It isn't possible to search every tile without food issues arising, so this seems a bit unbalanced to me.

Second, the chance to hit rattlesnakes and aquators seems to be a bit too low to me. I can have a character that hits most monsters on most attempts, but I still am lucky to hit snakes and aquators once every 4 times it seems. Seeing as to how these two monsters are already two of the most dreaded, perhaps giving us a chance to take them out before completely ruing a promising character would be welcome. It seems a bit unbalanced to me that ways of protecting armor and/or strength are so rare yet rattlesnakes and aquators are two of the most common monsters for several relatively early levels of the dungeon.

Then again, Rogue and other Hacks never promise to be balanced I suppose. That is part of what makes a win so unique.

-Dave
Absolutely agree with Dave with regards to the chance to hit Aquators, always takes at least 4 successful hits to drop one.
Engram

Post by Engram »

There are only a few things that make 1 run from the amulet different from the next. The randomness of terrain and traps. The randomness of loot. The critters that permanently destroy objects and wealth (Nymphs and Leprechauns). The critters that can cause curable damage to armor and strength and max health. Making Aquators and Snakes easier to kill would just tune the game down to be easier.

I, at first, really wanted the ability to hunt down and exact my revenge upon Nymphs and Leprechauns (and get my stuff back). I've gotten over it. Whether or not this change ever comes to Rogue Touch, such a change would fundamentally change the game. It would be an order of magnitude easier to make the leaderboard.

While there are definitely games in which I wish my hero wouldn't get tag teamed by Griffons after being poisoned and robbed of life and property, I am not sure I'd keep playing if that were the case.

OK - feature request. Crank up the potion and scroll drop rates but makes Aquators' water attacks have a chance to randomly wash away ink and Ice Monster attacks have a chance to randomly freeze and shatter a potion.
jhawk

Post by jhawk »

I believe the drop rates were actually just lowered

The nymphs and leps rather suck and revenge would be nice but not a top 10

Ice monsters spam ice bolt like no other, and after not being able to do anything for 8+ turns I would like to know if it stacks

and reccomend that if your frozen and get hit again, since it's a non damaging attack that a second one breaks the first one
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

I've gone ahead and picked some interesting ideas to tag on my first post. There's a lot here, so I picked some that seemed neat or perhaps easy to do for now. A lot of other good ones still in here that I did not mention too :)

jhawk, the ice monster's cold does stack, only up to a certain number of turns. You can be frozen for at most 20 turns I believe. This is actually much more forgiving than some rogue variants. I think even the free rogue in the app store does this: if you get hit like 3 times in short span by an ice monster, you simply die of hypothermia! Do not pass go, do not collect $200!

I like my version better, at least you get a chance for revenge. And revenge is a dish best served cold.... Cue the KHHHAAAANNNN references! :D
LordGek

Post by LordGek »

CommanderData wrote:I've gone ahead and picked some interesting ideas to tag on my first post. There's a lot here, so I picked some that seemed neat or perhaps easy to do for now. A lot of other good ones still in here that I did not mention too :)
Some cool stuff I can't wait to see there, CD.

(would just making some sort of pony keg for the game kill two birds with one stone?)
DaveS

Post by DaveS »

I'm a little bit curious about the behavior of nymphs and leps now that it has been brought up. I never played the original Rogue, but I have been playing Nethack on and off for about 10 years now (my goodness ... 10 years and never a single win). In Nethack, both monsters actually stay on the level where they stole from you and if you manage to find them and kill them you get your stuff back. Usually by the time you finish them off they have stolen multiple items so it becomes almost a desperate act to finally get them. How did this work in the original Rogue? I can live with this version just fine when it comes to how they behave, but I have been curious as to whether Nethack's way of dealing with them came from Rogue or whether it was added later on.

Dave
DaveS

Post by DaveS »

Engram wrote:There are only a few things that make 1 run from the amulet different from the next. The randomness of terrain and traps. The randomness of loot. The critters that permanently destroy objects and wealth (Nymphs and Leprechauns). The critters that can cause curable damage to armor and strength and max health. Making Aquators and Snakes easier to kill would just tune the game down to be easier.
I pretty much agree with this actually. I don't necessarily want to make them easier to kill as far as hit points go, but it seems like the actual chance to just hit them is much lower than the other monsters. I can live with the consequences of getting tagged if I am standing toe-to-toe with them, but having to swing four times for every one hit just seems a bit unbalanced to me. Then again, I agree that this is part of the game, and if you get past those levels with any strength or armor left you know you have a chance ... at least until the griffons arrive!

Dave
NightOwl40

Post by NightOwl40 »

CommanderData wrote:I've gone ahead and picked some interesting ideas to tag on my first post. There's a lot here, so I picked some that seemed neat or perhaps easy to do for now. A lot of other good ones still in here that I did not mention too :)

jhawk, the ice monster's cold does stack, only up to a certain number of turns. You can be frozen for at most 20 turns I believe. This is actually much more forgiving than some rogue variants. I think even the free rogue in the app store does this: if you get hit like 3 times in short span by an ice monster, you simply die of hypothermia! Do not pass go, do not collect $200!

I like my version better, at least you get a chance for revenge. And revenge is a dish best served cold.... Cue the KHHHAAAANNNN references! :D
:lol: I can live with just the ice monsters freezing my ass for that long, but when their buddies show up and take advantage of my being a ice cube and kill me :oops: ......that's downright annoying ;)
NightOwl40

Post by NightOwl40 »

DaveS wrote:
Engram wrote:There are only a few things that make 1 run from the amulet different from the next. The randomness of terrain and traps. The randomness of loot. The critters that permanently destroy objects and wealth (Nymphs and Leprechauns). The critters that can cause curable damage to armor and strength and max health. Making Aquators and Snakes easier to kill would just tune the game down to be easier.
I pretty much agree with this actually. I don't necessarily want to make them easier to kill as far as hit points go, but it seems like the actual chance to just hit them is much lower than the other monsters. I can live with the consequences of getting tagged if I am standing toe-to-toe with them, but having to swing four times for every one hit just seems a bit unbalanced to me. Then again, I agree that this is part of the game, and if you get past those levels with any strength or armor left you know you have a chance ... at least until the griffons arrive!

Dave
Snakes...........why does it always have to be snakes????? :lol: Frakking things always bite me at least once if I fail to kill them with the first couple of hits. Those aquators can't kill you, just your armor........last run I had a fairly decent set I was trying to preserve, so put on the only othe set I'd found, only to discover it was cursed. I then proceeded to get repeatedly drenched and have my armor brought down to nearly naked levels, and finally ran into my previous runs corpse and got stomped :oops:
FrogZero

Post by FrogZero »

I think attacks shouldn't miss sleeping monsters. It sucks to sneak up on a sleeping leprechaun, attack it, only to miraculously miss the immobile enemy and lose your gold (along with a few limbs in the case of gryphons...). Another thing could be a possible damage bonus on sleeping monsters, maybe to help promote a sneakier playstyle, though instead of just avoiding all combat to get destroyed in later levels, you just sneak attack those unfortunate enough to be asleep while your around :lol: .